1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

snapping on startup(Peavey content)>

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steelhead2, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ok my mighty Peavey Kilobass head has developed an issue,seemed like a minor`snap'(aka light pop or even 2 during startup,sort of happened quickly twiceEDIT=recently like this last week only but i start with all master volume knobs off,the tube side has always been slow warming up<)tonight she snapped once while dialing up the volume,,def. not LOUD(well, not 1000 watt bi-amp loud witch is L-O-U-D with a pedal)

here's the skinny=stereo type D class head that i'm bi-amping into a 15/4x10 cab,one side has a tube pre,it's not working now(the pre or post knobs),,had a jam buddy come buy to try it out,brought his sons with an SG,after he thumped on my ghetto stack with my P we went into a spare bedroom and listened to some old schtuff while i sang and we dwank a couple cold ones;)while his kids tag teamed the SG out in the living room(on the Kilostack)

then we heard a loud humming=kids just unplugged and walked out the front door:confused:,left cable on floor,quite rude but they are ignorant about tubes,,

can't seem to log in to the peavey site to post any questions,my tech is out of town till monday,soanyway;=is it a tube?,can i check that?,like in the old days(take it somewhere or use a multi-meter?)

def. taking this girl in for a checkup but hey it's a weekend,i need LOUD:D,

2. know my post is confusing(but hey i'm stressing,hadn't been playing this rig for a month,just drug it out about ten days ago)she's awesome but couple`snaps' here and there had me going what's with that?

now one snap later and,,,,she's wounded:crying:,,,and`the whammy bar and grille' is denying me access,great phone service but their chatroom sux;don't forget your password(beleive me)

ok,,always wanted an Ampeg;)

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

confused of what the question is.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I got a headache from trying to read both the posts so far.

5. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Take a breath, gather your thoughts, and start this thread over.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I've read it a few times now... there's a lot of nonsense in the post, but I think what the OP is saying is:
    1) The tube pre channel doesn't work any longer.
    2) When he powers it on he is getting a "pop" through his speakers.

Some other info about someone playing a P bass, an "SG", leaving a cord unplugged and getting hum (which I would expect, so I'm not sure why that's being listed as a "problem") and something about wanting to check "the tubes" with a multi-meter.

I would personally just buy another preamp tube and swap it out. It'll be like $10 maybe. Preamp tubes really shouldn't "die" though, not like power tubes anyway. It's just a single 12AX7 in there.

Otherwise, no offense, but I would just advise taking it to a tech, especially if it's under warranty so that way you don't bugger it up worse. You can't effectively check a tube with a multimeter... at best you can check that the filament has continuity and that the plate isn't shorted, but that doesn't really tell you a whole lot.

Also, running a 4x10 and 1x15 isn't an ideal setup at all...

7. all excited,hadn't been using this head until a week ago,now it's broken,passed on another head i was going to buy so i'm back to a combo 300 till my tech comes home does a fix:meh:

1000 watts gets me excited, losing half of that also gets me excited,thanks for the replys i will now load up on every head i even consider buying with no remorse whatsoever and thus i will never be without (massive) power nor will i feel a need to post in a fritz seeking tech help at a moments notice:bassist:

thanx again=peace:D

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Half the power you're losing at most, in theory, 3dB. You won't even notice.
    You'd be better off if you had a better cab match (two 4x10s or two 1x15s). But if you like what you have, just make sure to take care of that 1x15, it'll blow way before you hear it even complaining.

9. You need to brush up on your own equipment..........

First off, it is not a tube amp

The amp has one preamp tube in it, and it can be run either through the tube pre, solid state pre, or a blend of both.

Losing the tube in the pre does not mean that half your amp is dead.

If you did lose one of the channels (left or right) there is more than a bad pre tube.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/kilobass.pdf