1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So...I got a Sterling S.U.B Ray4 today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheOriginalName, Jun 13, 2018.

1. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    DD0B274C-6199-4811-8B4E-878F294E12B9. 72B9054D-8F64-498C-934D-11AD11CF1B48. After some time and many threads, I decided that, based off how it felt to me, how it sounded, and the recommendations you guys gave me, it would be wise to pull the trigger. I like it, a lot. I don’t think I’m qualified enough to give a review on the matter, seeing as I’m new, but I will say that it looks, sounds, and feels very nice. I wouldn’t know how to accurately describe the sound in comparison to other basses I’ve tried out, so I’ll attempt a vague description. The S.U.B Ray4 has a very low, growly tone, at least to me. I got mine in a blue satin finish. The S.U.B Ray4 feels a lot beefier in comparison to my K.I.A Squier. I’m satisfied with my purchase. I believe I owe thanks to all of you bassists out there who gave me advice and assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  2. twinjet

twinjet CFM-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Seeing how you feel like you owe TB, a picture of your new bass seems fitting. Congrats.

Microbass and andruca like this.
  3. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I will soon, but I’m writing at night and probably going to sleep soon.

4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    K.I.A?

Killed In Action?

5. Birddogcof

Birddogcof

Jun 1, 2017
    Utica, MI
    Congrats on the new bass. A friend of mine has one and it plays nice and sounds good.

Where'd you get it from? New or used?

6. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    The strap on the old one came loose and it fell, so we returned it and got refunded via the guitar center pro coverage plan. I said KIA as a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  7. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    We got it from guitar center. New.

8. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    I've been considering that exact same bass. I seem to gravitate to it every time I get to a GC. One day...

9. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    These bass are amazing, I will tell you what, I have an EBMM Stingray Classic and my friend have a Sterling Ray . For the life of me. If you were blind fold me. I honestly can't tell which is which!
    The EBMM has nicer neck but that's about it.

These Sterling basses are real bargain
    Congrats!

dralionux and edencab like this.
  10. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I think it’s a nice change in pace vs my previous squier PJ bass (RIP).

dustklose likes this.
  11. Congrats!

12. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I have the same bass from 2014. They've improved some stuff since then. When I first got mine (see profile pic) it had really high output on the E string and the others were wimpy. I took the preamp out and that helped and then eventually went with a Duncan pickup.
    Good choice of bass!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a Ray34 and it really is a great bass, the build quality is outstanding. Enjoy!

14. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    That's what I'm looking for, a nice change versus my VM 77 Jazz.

15. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Congrats!....you will be very happy you bought it.........I bought a SUB4 a few years ago.....these things are wicked powerful, super value for the $$....the neck feels great, well balanced....
    ...I put D'addario black tape wounds on it, (black bass)..they sound amazing .
    ...swapped out the black PG for tort..then swapped for black pearloid............love your blue satin

16. Great looking Bass. Congrats!!!

17. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    Congrats man! I bought mine a couple of years ago with the intention of modifying it. Out of the box, it's a great bass for the price and it has a great feel to it for sure. I do prefer the decals on your headstock better than the giant "SUB" on mine!

Attached Files:

spaz21387, Rebel Rocker and edencab like this.
  18. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Wow! Nice bass! I was always curious about that line- their basses and the guitars, as well. It seems like a great value.

19. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Why wouldn’t you be qualified to review it? Your opinion is as valid as that of the next person. I’m curious as to the range of tones these provide versus a standar Stingray

BOOG likes this.
  20. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    The sub4 is one of the few full scales that tempt me (in my price range). Always play em when available at music store.