So, what were you doing 30 years ago?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michedelic, May 7, 2021.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I just flashed on this, and looked it up...maybe they didn’t matter to you, maybe they meant everything to you, maybe you hated them because they ‘ruined everything’ (whatever everything might have been for you), maybe you weren’t even born yet; as for me, I was a little beyond the intended demographic, but I liked them. They didn’t exactly catch me by surprise as I had heard plenty of similar, forerunner stuff in the previous few years, but was amazed that something so raw was on mainstream rock radio. My only gripe was the over-saturation.
    What am I going on about? 30 years ago this month, Nirvana entered a studio with Butch Vig to start recording Nevermind, and while there wasn’t exactly one pivotal moment like 2/9/64, the following October was definitely a before/after period. I don’t think anything like that would happen again.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I was just a couple days away from working for Score Photographers/Labwork - The Black & White Lab for 22 years.

djp420, Wambemando, JRA and 4 others like this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I was going to school and working in a bar. I clearly recall following the first Gulf War on the news. Just had met a nice girl I’d spend the next few years with. Was on a lull from playing and being in bands. Too busy with school, work and said girl!

I remember where I was when I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time some months later.

Wambemando, bolophonic and BBQisgood like this.
  4. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    Flunking out of engineering school.

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Probably playing a gig

6. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Was in the Navy - stationed in San Diego. Sonar technician. Our ship was doing drills to prepare for gulf deployment.

Had a bass and amp on the ship...

7. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I was 36 years old, four years into total sobriety (including caffeine and cig's). Working nights at a large aerospace factory supporting four kids and working on a degree in business. Which left no time for music.

Now I'm retired, the kids have kids of their own (one of those has kids as well), the degree means nothing, caffeine is real important twice a day and alcohol has made a respectful comeback. Still no drugs or nicotine. Oh and playing as much as possible.

8. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016
    Finishing up the second grade. Hanging out with my brother and enjoying the Ninja Turtles. Getting the paper every day to read Calvin and Hobbes. Afraid for the troops and the kids in the Gulf. Thankful for my teacher that year, who was much nicer than the teacher I had previously.

9. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    Basswise I had just ditched a Kramer Forum IV bass with a broken nut and replaced it with a Yamaha BB200 if I got the model right. My bass skills were pretty good at that point; I was practicing and playing with others frequently as a result of being much younger not married yet :)

Dabndug likes this.
  10. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I was a little over 3 years into a 33+ year career with the USPS. Playing classic rock in various cover bands.

Supadope, Evets1987, Jxff and 5 others like this.
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I had just moved to Portland with this jam band:

We played the Satyricon where I believe Kurt met Courtney.

Obviously that sound wasn't in step with the exploding grunge scene, and we disbanded somewhere around that time.

Then I got to play with this band, which also was out of step with the 90s PNW zeitgeist (but was a big deal in southern California in the 70s):

Swerve, Supadope, LLD and 10 others like this.
  12. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    I was still playing 5-6 nights a week in California when around this time the economy started taking a nosedive. Many of the places I had played for years suddenly went out of business or stopped having live music. In 1992 I relocated to New Jersey where I made more money only playing 2 nights a week.

Jeff Scott, teh-slb and Dabndug like this.
  13. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Something like this , except for the teacher.

Jeff Scott, BBQisgood and Dabndug like this.
  14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I was in HS playing in a death/ grind band. I remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and realizing it was going to put the hurt on lousy glam bands. I didn't know it was going to completely derail metal for the next 5 years or so.
    It's a shame that Kurt only lived for another 3 years.

I have no idea what happened in Feb of 1964. My parents were still teenagers.

PClark99 and Dabndug like this.
  15. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Starting kindergarten.

16. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was 15 and had just gotten a G&L L-2000 bass at Christmas. I enjoyed music but taking up an instrument opened up a whole new world. I loved everything about the grunge scene and the music coming out of Seattle. All of those bands still get played fairly regularly on my playlists.

tubatodd, GregC and Dabndug like this.
  17. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    30 years ago, I was playing sonic the hedgehog, dressed as a ninja turtle. Raphael, to be exact.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Obsesspool, caasi91, design and 8 others like this.
  18. 5aP

5aP

Jun 29, 2020
    Watching cartoons, starting a first band, about to try my first smoke, watching some more cartoons, listening to Black album, learning about punk (Sex Pistols, Exploited, Toy Dolls, Kud Idijoti..), blasting Apettite For Destruction LP on my dads gramophone, watching some more cartoons (Voltron, Saber Rider, TMNT...), being in love for a second time in my life, not thinking about school, trying to learn playin' a guitar as Metallica...
    Actually, alot happened that year. And I was only fifth/sixth grade...

utterlybored and Dabndug like this.
  19. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I was 10, so primary school and rugby league were the main things I was doing.

Nuage420, teh-slb and Dabndug like this.
  20. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I was at rehearsal for a pretty big jazz/new-age group in my area. I had just joined, and I was green as all getout. My headspace didn't have room for grunge then. And I know what Nirvana meant to not just the Seattle scene but rock in general, but Soundgarden and STP were more my speed when I started paying more attention.

D-G, Bent77, Nuage420 and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021