1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

soloing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ken66, May 23, 2012.

1. ken66

ken66

May 10, 2012
    Can someone tell me where a solo may occur in fusion is it same as in other forms of jazz and what types of progressions are common, I know that it's modal in approach .

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You can solo however you and your bandmates agree, over whatever chords you all agree to.

How about some context, such as "I'm in a three piece group (guitar, bass, drums) I want to take a solo in [name the song]; I was thinking that I could solo over the same changes as the guitar while he quietly comps in the background, etc., etc., etc."

Your question is so open ended it's hard to answer.

3. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    In fusion,specifically,might not really be any recognizable progression throughout the genre.
    Or even a modal approach,can be chordal approach,or ethereal approach (based merely on sound),or a rhythmic approach,or even something new, I mean,is all up to your own background and understanding what the music needs.
    Now,there are compositions that are closer to jazz,where you can use what you learned on jazz,others are more rock oriented,others are completely different than both.
    Is all up to you,basically.

4. You solo when the person that is now doing the lead passes the lead to you. Once you get the lead you play the song's tune or head.

When you finish your lead break (solo) you return it or pass it to someone else.

If you have a vocalist she/he could start the song by singing two verses and a chorus then pass the lead to the electric guitar who then does his solo. In my World the solo is not an improvised scale or mode it's the songs tune. In fusion improvised scales and or modes do seem to be the normal thing. After 16 to 24 bars (normally what is in a verse) the solo then goes back to the vocalist who then sings another verse, repeats the chorus and tags the last line to end the song.

It's after this second chorus, instead of ending, that the lead can be passed to the bass, drums, sax or whoever. Then to end the song the lead is passed back to the vocalist who then sings the chorus, tags the last line and ends the song.

That is one way. It can be done many different ways.

5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It's all about feel. You just brake out into soloing whenever you feel like it, if the others in the band don't like it, then screw them.:bag:

6. That's right!
    Or just solo all the time.
    Best to solo when others are soloing. That's the solo part!!