Something quirky (new rotosound 66's)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GTHintz, May 22, 2023.

1. Just thought I'd see if this is a 1 off or if Im half nuts or crazy like a fox here. So Im picking up my bass. ( Passive Warwick Streamer standard) and Im still feeling out what i think about the bass strung with rotos. I know from experience that rotos are interesting in how you can never go by the tone you get from the time you first string it up. They do a lot of strange things as they settle. I think that's why most people think they got a twisted string or a defect. So anyway first session with it im not impressed. Second time it sounded like the a string was having a wierd issue and not sounding like the other strings. Ok on to today. I litterally move the pickup height down a millimeter on both pickups and play around and between that and having some time on the strings they have all suddenly settled evenly and im really happy with what im hearing. Punch bite, growl, the typical Warwick tone coming through nicely. I was so close to taking these off but im glad i stuck with it a little longer. So just wanted to see if this is a common thing for you guys that play rotos all the time. I'm playing roto for the first time in so long that i forget how quirky they are when they first go on the bass. Pic is so I can prove it did happen. Hahaha.
    0520231013.jpg

2. marchone

marchone Since 1951

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC/NYS
    Out of the gate it may be your tuners but Roto 66s are known for a wide change in sound in a short span. That’s why players like Chris Squire were known for changing to a fresh set every single day for their snappy sound. Other players like Ron Wood and John Entwistle used worn in ones for a fatter yet still growly tone.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  3. I must have forgot how wide. I definitely like them after the tone fattens up a bit. The pickups are very bright as is so the fatness seens to round out everything else. I got too used to other strings that dont have such a big break in curve.

Carlitos likes this.
  4. marchone

marchone Since 1951

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC/NYS
    Remember those sounds were gotten on Fenders and Ricks. With big tube amps.

Iristone, DJ Bebop and GTHintz like this.
  5. The amp definitely makes a difference. Im glad i have the versatility with my tube emulator. I gravitate a little more to solid state type tone but those old ampeg, gk, sunn, etc amps sound great.

marchone, Iristone and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Was my go-to string 30 years ago. They die in seconds. Now I don't even go near roundwounds.

GTHintz likes this.
  7. Reid-O

Reid-O What day is this? Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    Add Steve Harris to that list of daily Roto-swappers.

8. John Entwistle Gear: Strings, Picks & Action | John Entwistle Bass Gear | Whotabs.
    IMG_5296.jpeg

9. Carlitos, marchone, Iristone and 2 others like this.
  10. Rotos do sound fantastic when first put on. But, I use them quite a while after that. I have them on all my fretless basses….so that helps them live longer (minus the frets) and my hands are very dry…that helps too.

But it sure is a treat when I change them.

I have used other RW brands. But I love the Rotos!

Carlitos, marchone, GTHintz and 2 others like this.
  11. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I'd boil strings because I lacked the funds to buy strings. Somewhere around 1992 I remember my ex asking me "what do you want for Christmas?". All I wanted was a set of Rotosound Jazz flats for my Ric fretless. It was a financial stretch...

12. Engle and StereoPlayer like this.
  13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    I think just about any strings can have a few quirks. When ever I change a type of brand of string, I do so with the foreknowledge I may have to adjust something, not just on my bass, but with the amp settings as well.

14. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    The 66s were the first roundwounds I used, not a lot of choices back in 1973, used them for about 6 years, wore the frets down to the point that I could see the windings imprint on the fretboard of my ‘65 Jazz Bass, keep your eye on your frets, they would also die in a couple of days, not a fan but YMMD.

Pontiac Thrasher and lowplaces like this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I do find that you need to let them settle in for a bit; I like to let them sit for at least 24 hours before playing.

Still my favorite string.

Pontiac Thrasher and Carlitos like this.
  16. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    I use Rotosounds only... Monel Flats 77's (45-105) on my PBasses, and either Nickel or Steel 66's (45-105)on my Spectors.

Great sounding strings, I do actually prefer a fresher set when it comes to the flats, I'll change them more frequently than most people.

17. u84six

u84six Don't panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Whenever I change string brands and types, I always have to adjust pickups, bridge, and sometimes the neck

18. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    I had no luck with them, way too bright and clangy. I've got flats on everything now, helps mask my bad fingering and weak muting skills.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  19. Stylee Mousse

Stylee Mousse

Jan 12, 2023
    I used roto 66 for a long time. I always hated them for the first few days. Definitely weird stuff. I wouldn’t record with them until they settled. Then I’d get about 6 weeks before they got dull and stiff. Next set!

went to d’addario nickels after that, less exciting but more consistent and longer lasting

Pontiac Thrasher and GTHintz like this.
  20. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I have been for many years. And will continue to use Steel Rotos 66. Tried others but seem to always come back to RS. I keep mine on for at least two years or more. But yes they sound funny at first. Like some things wrong with my amp. LOL

Pontiac Thrasher and GTHintz like this.