Soon to be LDS Custom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, May 22, 2007.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    So I entered negotiations with Don over at LDS about having a custom cab built. Sent some e-mails back and fourth and now have had two phone conversations.

We haven't worked out all of the specifics yet but this is what we got:

It will be a 6 x 12 cab and have the built in casters feature as well as top and side lift bar options.

We are still discussing if I will go the Neo route which would use B&C speakers or go with standard drivers (not sure which they use yet).

The neos would save weight but cost a good deal more then if I went with standard drivers.

If I went with non-neo drivers it'd weigh roughly 30 lbs more and I'm a big boy so I can handle it.

The rough dimentions right now are:

26" wide 48" tall---16" deep which the same size as an SVT 810E cab. And I'd imagine that it will weigh less.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go with carpet or tolex right now, if I go with standard drivers I may go with tolex (I'd have the extra money to put towards it).

Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas I'd be greatly appreciative. I'll add more info as I get it and pics once it's done.

Peace

-Benny

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The larger and heavier the cab, the more inclined I would be to skip Tolex and get water-based Duratex or an epoxy-based industrial like it.

I assume you are going ported?

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    So far in the inicial stages I've entertained the idea of sealed for the punch factor. However I have never had a cab with 12's that wasn't ported so I don't know if I should.

We are still getting all of the info together, the afformentioned is just what we've come up with so far so it may change.

I'm probably going to just stick with the carpet covering (I take good care of my cabs).

Would you suggest sealed or ported?

I play in a few different bands, one is more thrash tuned D standard, the other is tuned E standard but with the sparing use of octave effect, and the last is a more jam/ blues rock where I use a barrowed 6 string.

Peace

-Benny

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I like a modicum of low end and I think that many of those particular drivers is going to have very punchy sense of transients anyway, so I'd go ported.

As far as carpet, in spite of my cats, I prefer it to Tolex over the years.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'll probably go ported.

I'm supposed to call Don tomorrow at 11 am and we can start to finalize things.

Peace

-Benny

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    What do you mean?

Peace

-Benny

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    You could divide that cab into two chambers and port one and seal the other. 4 by 4 or 2 x 6. But the gains if any will be minimal given the driver spec and the additional cost. If I was going to do a similar thing, I'd actually opt for those 4 of those twelves and a couple of BMS 8" drivers above - one of them coaxial.

That would take you into a higher price category yet though, since it would need more crossover.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hmmm that's interesting.

I need the extra 12's though, and I like my highs to come from my speakers.

Although I had a MM HD 212 cab that a 6" mid range driver in it that sounded quite smooth.

Have to look into it.

Peace

-Benny

9. have a sealed 412cab with a ported 212

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Eight inch cones have more highs than twelves and a better polar response. And very present. Not that it would be a big issue in a 6-by anyway ; }

Another combination I'd thought of was a ported 8x8. Its incredible what some of the new eights can do.

11. hey have alook @ the galaxy drivers man

12. Thats going to be a cool cab Benny, of course with the size, I would go with rhinolining! I've had a few big cabs, and I seem to bang them up a bit :)

I hope the cab sounds good no matter what outer covering you use!

13. Don's spray on finish is wonderful. Highly recommended.

The B&C Neo's are great sounding, but are expensive, and the voicing seems to be optimal for a more funk/pop tone versus 'balls to the walls rock' to my ear.

Have you considered the very nice new Eminence Neo's. From the A/B's I've done with similar LDS cabs with either the Eminence or B&C Neo's (and also the reviews that are coming in for the original B&C Epifani's versus the new Series II UL's with Eminence drivers), the Eminence neo's have a little more low end ooomph and a little more 'rock friendly' lower mid punch to them.

The Eminence Neo's are a fraction of the cost of the B&C's, and seem to be very high quality (I think part of the cost of the B&C"s in the US is the weakness of the dollar vs. the Euro).

Anyway, just a thought... you could save the weight, get a little more punch that would be a little closer in tone to standard drivers, and save a BUNCH of money.

Also, if you go with Neo's, ask Don about his new ultra lightweight plywood. It really makes a difference in weight versus standard plywood. I'm not sure if there are issues with using the lighterweight plywood in a box that big, but Don can tell you that.

K

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Gainesville, FL
    Ken's right about the Eminence neos. My 2x12 / 2x6 from LDS is loaded with them, and it sounds great.

You ought to split it into two cabinets - two 3x12s. Be a lot more manageable, plus you could do one ported and one not.

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm not to worried about the weight actually, got a quote from Don today and he said that with the standard speakers it would weigh in at 130 to 150lbs. Which is still lighter then an Ampeg fridge. Plus the cab will have the casters with top and side handles.

We've gotten the size to 46" tall, 26" wide, and 16" deep using the standard drivers in a ported enclosure... in a sealed with neos it was 2" taller (or the same dimentionally as an SVT 810E).

I settled on carpet for the fact that I can save a bit of money now, and if the carpet gets ratty I can strip it off later and cover it in Dura-tex or something like that.

The problem we've run into would having to ship it freight and not through UPS or FedEx. I'm not sure what it will cost yet to ship it but I thought it might save a bit of money to actually drive to Detroit from Madison, WI and pick it up. 860 miles round trip, 23 miles per gallon = 37 gallons of gas @ $3.40 a gallon(ish) = $127 or so.

Ryan over at LDS and I talked about freight today because at the time when I called Don was getting ready for a workshop that was being held today. Anywho Ryan said that the cab would be at least $100 to ship and could very well be more like $150 depending on who we went with to freight it.

Plus if I drive down to go get it I can also check out the shop and meet Don and thank him in person.

Pretty excited about this build (my first custom cab other then the ones I've rebuilt), and I can't wait.

I think I will end up coming back to LDS because thus far Don has been amazing with fielding questions and getting ideas back to me via e-mail as well as answering the phone when I call. Maybe next time I'll go with an 8x8 (which I was originally going to go with this time, but I thought "If I'm going to go big, I might as well go really big."

Ohh yeah, forgot to mention. With the stock speakers this cab will be rated at 2400 watts RMS @ 4 ohms!!!! I should be able to get some serious SPL out of this and have a great rig for out doors shows.

Thanks guys for all of the info, the Neos will be coming on my next project for sure.

So are all of you interested in me keeping this thread running and updating with some pics when I get it?

Thanks a ton

Peace

-Benny

16. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Ohh yeah, this is a question I haven't asked Don yet but I thought I might run it by you guys with LDS cabs already. What was the weight time from point of order to reception?

I haven't placed my order yet so that's probably why it hasn't been brought up yet, plus I haven't asked yet because I haven't ordered yet.

I plan on ordering on Monday (I'll be all moved back down from Superior, WI to Madison).

Peace

-Benny

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Good stuff, Benny, but I still think splitting it out into two packages ultimately will be more pleasing. And for shipping too. 8-ohm 2-by, and 4-ohm 4-by with good wheels.

Well, depending on if your stuff can drive 2.67 ohms anyway.

18. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin

I can do 2 ohms so that's not a problem, I get 900 watts per channel @ 2 ohms.

If I bridge 4 ohms though I get 1800 watts @ 4 ohms.

Plus if I went the whole 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab to get a 2.67 ohm impedance I would be feeding the 4 ohm cab more power then the 8 ohm cab. If was to use seprate channels of the power amp I'd get 350 watts on the 8 ohm side and 600 watts on the 4 ohm side. Either way I go I may run into clashing sensativities.

If I go with the full 6x cab in 4 ohm I can pull 1800 watts and have more head room.

I did entertain the though of the dual 3x12 cabs, but inevitably that would end up costing more and I've only got about $900 to put towards this and with the 6x set up I'm going to get in under that by a nice margin with shipping or picking it up.

Plus I'm a large guy, 6'5 and 260lbs and with casters not a big deal. I can always tilt it into the back of the mini van and use the bed as a fulcrum and get a mechanical advantage.

Peace

-Benny

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I believe Don's wait time is 4-6 weeks, but I suggest you call to double check. I'll ask Ryan tonight, it's only my second time over there today.:D (There having a Steve Lawson clinic tonight) I have two of Don's cabs and love them. I find them very competitive with the boutique cabs at about two thirds the price. Be sure and let the Detroit TB contingent know when your coming over, and we can have a mini hang.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021