1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soundclips: Fender Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass vs. SX SJB-62CT 3TS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Fender Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. SX SJB-62CT 3TS

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yesterday I received the Fender, which I bought used from TB'er steamthief. The finish on the bass is much nicer than the finish on the SX, the neck feels much nicer, the action is lower, and the neck pocket is very tight. Fit, finish, and playability all go to the Fender, but I am going to let TalkBass decide which bass sounds better.

In the clips, both pickups and tone are on full on both basses. The recording signal path was bass->direct out (pre eq) on Fender Bassman 150->Behringer mixer->Behringer interface->Dell. I uses Lava Cable, a Van Damme instrument cable and a Gepco mic cable. I didn't use any compression or eq on Audacity. The song is is When You Gonna Learn by Jamiroquai (

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If this was a blind test, I would have gone with the SX tone as the Fender as the SX tend to have "hotter" pickups than alnico Fender stock units.

The SX has a much nicer, smoother tone. Could be the 7150's as well, as those are my favorite strings.

Unfortunatly I think this poll my be influenced by people hearing with their eyes.
    A blind test may produce very different results.

It would also be helpful to have the same stirngs on each bass, as that can make a very big difference in tone.

The Fender track sounds "harsh" or at least "edgier" by comparison. More of what I would expect from the Ceramic SX pickups. (required IMO)

3. +1

I'm sure people would think I'm biased by saying that I prefer the tone of the SX. But it's the truth.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the opinion. FWIW the CS '60s pickups are overwound.

I agree the SX sounds smoother, and a lot of the that can be attributed to the 7150s, which are one of my favorite strings as well. Maybe I will switch strings and record the Fender again.

The Fender definitely sounds brighter, so I will try to switch the strings ASAP. The SX pickups are ceramic? I didn't know that, I will add that to the thread. Perhaps the wiring harness mellowed the SX as well?

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I honestly think that a lot of people discount how much of an influence string selection has on tone, as well as pickup adjustment hight.

These are the simplest things to change, but it's more fun (I guess) to start swapping bridges an pickups etc.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    First off, both sound good. From the sound clips I'm sure I'd gladly play either bass.

I *think* the Fender tone might sound better in a band setting, but it's hard to tell for sure. The SX is a little "mellower" and the Fender has a bit more "grit" in the tone. Again, both sound good, just different.

As others have said, the strings and pickup height can make a huge difference, and I suspect that is at least a part of what we are hearing. I also suspect that the lower action on the Fender may be part of the "grit" that I hear. Anyway, these comparisons are always fun, thanks for the post.

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks, I thought the soundclips came out fairly well, I've been working on recording lately. How is the noise for each? Keep in mind that the SX is fully shielded with copper.

I know the SX shines in a band setting. The upper/mid mid presence really gives it clarity in the mix. However, it does lack some bottom. I will report back after I play my Fender with my band. I have a gig coming up at a coffee shop, and I plan on bringing both basses to see which sounds better in a club setting.

The Fender sounds more agressive in the mids, but that may be do to the lower action and the grit you are referring to.

I am going to change the strings and record clips, so both will have the 7150s. The pickup height is the same.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I just put the 7150L (40-60-80-100) set on the Fender. The strings are much lighter than the slinkys, so I'm guessing it was the regular slinky set (50-70-85-105). The bass now plays like butter. However, the output is significantly lower. I will record some clips soon...

9. The SX sounds "cheaper" to me. More quality tone with the fender.

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Can you be more specific? Check out the new clip of the Fender, read the OP.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I think you're right. The Fender is going to win at least two-to-one because of the Fender bias. Many people will vote for the Fender because they think the SX cannot possibly sound as good as a Fender, no matter what.

12. To me the fender sounds better. The Sx sounds more "Plonk Plonk Plonk". It became more obvious with the new soundclip.

And also, I dont have a Fender or SX.

13. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I can speak for me.

I own an SX and I believe that they're a much better deal than Fender could ever be. However, in this situation it is my honest assessment that the Fender sounds better. It sounds deeper to me. Maybe it's just my taste in tones, but the Fender wins.

Of course neither can beat my SX P bass. :ninja:

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I had a little confusion when i edited the clips, did you check the name on the zshare file and not just click on the link next to Fender or SX? Sorry for this.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. I tried to play on them the same, but it's difficult because the Fender has such low action, to which I am not used to yet. Hence the clacking on the Fender clip.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The new clip of the Fender with the 7150's sounds substantialy better than the original track with the Ernie Ball strings.

Seems as if the 7150's have tamed it (in a good way) a bit, and the two now sound a lot more alike than before.

Minus the fret clack, the Fender has a bit "richer sound" than the SX. This now comes downt to IMO an Alnico vs. Ceramic type thing.

They both sound like decent Jazz basses IMO, but I would now give a slight edge to the Fender (minus the fret clack).

Now... if you were to put a set of nice Alnico magnet pickups in the SX, you'd likely even things back up again.

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I think it sounds better too. The slinkys were very dead on the E, A, and D strings but the G string still had some zing. Combined with the heavier size, they were not to my liking. The problem is I have two basses that both sound best with the same set of strings I have been playing on for about 6 months. Maybe I will put the old XLs I have on the SX.

As I said before, I am getting used to the lower action. I have to play softer and lighten up my attack. I might even raise the action a little so suit my playing style better.

Thanks, good to know that other people like my tone. Do you think the '70s pickup spacing on the SX has anything to do with it.

I do think the Fender has more character to the sound, and the SX is a bit cloudier. However, both sound great recorded direct IMO.

I did put Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs in the SX, but after playing with my band several times and comparing the two, I actually liked the SX pickups more. The Antiquity IIs were great pickups, but they had a little too much bass, treble and an overall colored sound. They didn't have those "Fender mids" I love.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Never cared for slinkies myself. The 7150's sound best on to my ears , particularly on my Fenders. Yes, the output is lower than other strings, but I'll take the tone I prefer over output any day of the week.

I can't speak for J pickups, but Jason Lollars P pickups absolutly kill. I use one in my SX, and have "the real deal" Pre CBS Fender P as well. Jason hits the nail on the head with his pickups IMO.. He'd be the guy I'd search out for Vintage Fender type tone.

The Fender reissue pickups are also a good choice for Fender tone.

If I were in your shoes, I'd throw a set of new 7150's on the SX, and try out either of those pickups. You may be pleasantly suprised, and have a great sounding player for super short money. (required IMO)

Even still the 7150's on the SX still sound pretty darned good.

19. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I think "sounds better" is the wrong terminology. Who's to say which is better? You may like one over the other, but does that make it better? Or just different and not your taste?

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I was just wondering which bass the majority of TalkBass thought sounded better. Perhaps a better question is which bass sounds more like a pre-CBS Fender Jazz Bass?