1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Source Audio Spectrum Inteligent Filter!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OhulahanBass, Jan 29, 2019.

1. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Wow this thing has potential. I am super excited to program the Spectrum filter and love the expanded features via an editor with just select controls via the pedal. It seems to me the best method for offering complex synthesis in a pedal format. Really stupid excited about this!

However, I do hope Source programs some xtra harmonics in the oscillators to make them buzzy and fuzzy like a moog rather than clicky like a cheap VST. The "Moog Minitaur" patch Nathan plays at namm sounds much thinner than my Minitaur, too clicky, not enough in the upper harmonics I think. When cloning my favorite Minitaur patches on my Prophet 12 I was most successful cloning the saw oscillator in low register first. In addition to having allot of fuzzy harmonics up top, there is a big cut around 650Hz, the combo makes the Minitaur oscilator sound warm, wooly, driven and fantastic through a 24db filter!

Apologies if there is another thread but I could not find via search. If so, mods please delete or transfer this

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    gregmon79, Randy Ward, hintz and 4 others like this.
  2. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Oh, and it has 4 voices, can be an envelope filter, auto filter, FM synth or a little of everything... come clean Source Audio, this thing is way too good to be true;-)

hintz and Nunovsky like this.
  3. There is not a thread on this yet but there has been a lot of discussion on the SASS thread so be sure to watch that thread and read up for details. Looking for an April 2019 release $239.00 target price but nothing is set 100%.

Source Audio Sorcerers Society (S.A.S.S) Part 3

hintz likes this.
  4. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I’m pretty curious about this pedal, more as an envelope filter than anything else. I find myself liking my Broughton Josh Wah and Mooer Bass Sweeper more than my SA Manta, but I am very willing to give SA a chance to win me over again.

hintz and bassbrad like this.
  5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I’m GASing for this so hard that I might have to buy two.

hintz likes this.
  6. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Hmm, If they have the same tone with more control over the envelope I think the Spectrum will surpass the Manta by a healthy margin. The Manta/BEFs filter types are more interesting to me than another Mu-Tron Clone type filter. I love the Mu-Tron III and many of its variants but I just don’t get excited about them anymore, same goes for bass balls/sweeper. The 4pole SA filter type sounds great, with allot of envelope control and a well tracked beefy oscillator I think it will be amazing! The multi peaks with FM oscillators may sound out of this world.

hintz likes this.
  7. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    This thing blows Manta away, purely on the envelope filter front. We had no editor in those days, so the controls were limited.
    I am not sure about your "clicky" comment. I listened to those sounds over and over for 4 days! I am asking Nathan, who has the most experience using and programming the C4 at the moment.

8. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    I am going to comment in the other S.A.S.S. thread

hintz and BurtMacklinFBI like this.
  9. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I've been waiting for this filter and have my Hub ready. Having ALL of the other sounds included is a bonus. Well done, Source Audio....well done!

hintz, WaldoNova and bassbrad like this.
  10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    When will these be available and what will they cost?

11. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Probably May. $229.

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thank you!

rsmith601 likes this.
  13. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I'm super interested in this pedal. If it's more flexible than the manta, that would be fantastic. The manta was great, but I could never get the sensitivity just right. If this can do that and provide some sweet octaved synth sounds, this will be on my board in record time.

@rsmith601 do you know if we'll be able to switch presets/channels with the tap tempo switch ala One series dirt pedals?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I don't know for sure what effect Mandrill's bassist was using here but in @rsmith601 opinion do you think the Spectrum can duplicate this sound?

15. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    This is not defined yet. Probably.

willsellout likes this.
  16. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Seems right in the wheelhouse. All the tools are in there. But, someone in the community will need to make it.....and I suspect someone till.

Clark Dark likes this.
  17. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    any update when this thing is getting released?

18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It's set to be out by the end of May.

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I want BOTH these new SA offerings. Really I want the synth more than the other. But having both would be killer!

Nunovsky and LSMFT6 like this.
  20. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I’m definitely getting both. Mainly because I need one for each board.