1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker repair question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap5string, Jan 27, 2012.

  1. Well, I posted a few days ago about my GK cabs and 1 speaker which was buzzing. I thought it was due to the voice coil lead rubbing on the cone as the speaker vibrates. As you can see by the pic, there is more to it than that. The braided wire lead is frayed where it goes through the cone.

    My question is this - can the dust cap be removed to allow this wire to be replaced and then re-installed?...or does this require a complete re-coning? I'm concerned this speaker will not match (cosmetically) the other speakers and will not sound the same as well. Any thoughts what a repair like this will entail?
  2. 1n3


    Sep 13, 2007
    My first thought would be to apply sealant to the wire where it passes through the hole - speaker dope or silicone.
  3. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Yes it can but leave it to a speaker professional. I have not read the thread you mention or if I did I've forgotten. If the cab is new you should take the warranty route.
  4. That was my first thought until I saw that only half (or less) of the strands are still intacked. It will break unless it's replaced.
  5. will33


    May 22, 2006
    A speaker repair guy might be able to fix it without reconing but leave it to them. Likely something you wouldn't get right if you haven't fixed speakers before.
  6. No warrantee. These speakers have been discontinued back in 2005 or so. GK does not stock these either. They will sell me a replacement for around $100 but they are completely different in appearance and construction.
  7. I'm not interested in attempting this myself, just looking for info from anyone that knows if this repair is possible without re-coning.
  8. will33


    May 22, 2006
    It's possible. That's the best answer you're gonna get until you have a guy who could fix it look at it.
  9. username1


    Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    It should be possible. I have done an old JBL with the same problem before. I would let a professional do it though, I had experience in reconing in a repair shop I used to work in so it was no big deal to me but i dont think i would attempt it if your not familiar with speaker repair.

Share This Page