1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakers distorting too early

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Apr 13, 2006.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Im feeling like my ampeg svt 410hlf is getting a distorted tone way before it should. Im pretty sure my ears arnt getting worse, and its
    certainly not feeling or playing as loud as it used to on the sameish settings playing vs the same guitar rigs. I have to ask the guys to quiet down their rigs to a level that they are saying is way less than they used to play at. Im running it through a recently re-tubed mesa 400. What could some possible problems/solutions be? And price range?

2. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i had the exact same problem & I wasn't eq'ing poorly or anything.

My solution was to buy a schoeder cab. You could try getting a 2nd cab. if your band is quite loud, you will likely need 2 cabs

3. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    abtw, i also play through a 400+ & I find it's not nearly as loud as some people claim.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    a bad tube could cause that issue. My hartke i just re-tubed fixed that issue. check the speaker cable first, that sounds like a possible issue.

jacks oxidize, causing less power to reach the speaker, and a higher resistance to the amplifier.

a bad cable will do the same thing.

Get new cables, and try again.

5. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    pretty sure its not cables, ive switched those and just bought new bayou cables.

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    is the amp new? ie did you have the same amp when it was sounding louder?

7. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    the amp is a mesa 400 from 1982, and yes, same amp

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    How old are the output tubes? Hopefully not 1982 as well . . . .

- Tim

9. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I bought the amp second hand, I do not know if these are the original output tubes or not. They are at least 3 or so years old though.

10. Did you check the serial number ? because im pretty sure all 400's have the1982 date print on the back

11. Something wrong there i think?

12. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    no, i've had 2 different 400+'s and 3 sets of tubes & an empty wallet. nothing wrong. people can have different opinions of what "loud" means. this was covered in a previous thread

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Don't take this the wrong way, but are you aware that the tone stack on that particular amp is set so flat is something like 2-10-2? If you have all of your mids turned down, there's no surprise that it's quieter than you expected.

14. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    yep good point, but i've been through all that a number of times :)

it actually funny (not to hijack this thread), but the 400+ turned to 2-10-2 really seems to have no balls compared to other heads i've owned. it almost seems like that is in fact not flat at 2-10-2, as it seems quite thin.

that aside, i've always had colume problems with thiis head. no matter how it's eq'd etc, i can't get it really loud without distortion (either from the pre or power section). At a master of 5, it's just starting to kick ... but can't really go any higher than that....

I still have my 400+, but it's been a struggle. I want to get rid of it because i'm just not having much luck... on the other hand, i keep thinking i'm missing something here (due to everything i read) & that I should stick with it. I've spent TOO much money on it trying to get it sounding good, and have gone through 4 (!) cabs.... but i can't seem to get any magic out of it.

Am i the only one?

15. Ive never used the 400, but for 300 watt all tube it should be really loud, my SVT-II is loud as hell (except when plugged into the bright input but thats a -15dB pad aswell, thats the only thing i dont like about my amp), but no matter what cab i use its still more volume than ill ever use, and im pretty sure my peavey 410 and 2x15 are the most sensitive cabs out there!

But, each to thier own aye :)