Speakers swap on my Trace elliot 2 15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mercuryman, Dec 4, 2017.

1. mercuryman

mercuryman

Dec 4, 2017
    I need to replace those two speakers 15 in 16 ohm . I am looking for eminence pro 15a 800w
    My cab is wired to have 8ohm , if i put two 8 ohm speakers my cab will be 4 ohm ? I am using a Gallien Krueger as pre amp an a QSC MX 1500a as an amp .The amps is 1000w at 8 ohm or 1500w at 4 ohm ( bridged )

What do you think about that set up ?

Somebody have experience with Eminence speakers ?

2. The 3015 is a good match with the tuning. Worry more about that than wattages.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Just curious, What kind of venues need 1500 watts?

4. mercuryman

mercuryman

Dec 4, 2017
    Cause i already ad the amp and the Gallien i got is only 100w @ 4 ohm but sound very clear so ,line out to the QSC .....

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    How much power does a single channel have at 4 ohm? This may be a better choice. You could wire two 4 ohm speakers in series if you really want it to be an 8 ohm cab. If it's your only cab, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it being 4 ohm. I'm guessing that amp will still give plenty of power from a single channel driven into 4 ohms.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  6. Sounds like you have a 1528 cab; an 8ohm cabinet. I used to have a 1524, a 4 ohm cab. When I swapped out speakers, I used a pair of 3015's. Sounded great, though my Dually ended up being lighter and sounded better.

mercuryman likes this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    That's what the volume controls do. If he's using power amps, they usually start at around a thousand watts. My last rig was a 2400 watt QSC. I NEVER play loud.

mercuryman and MordBass like this.
  8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Agreed.
    If you get efficient speakers, you won't need to worry about hitting them with so much power to produce the volume you need. Also, with competent EQ'ing and volume control, you could run 1000 watts into a 50 watt cab if you needed/wanted.

9. mercuryman

mercuryman

Dec 4, 2017
    Thank's for answering , i found an Eminence speaker with freq. resp of 35Hz to 1.2 Khz ( Defimax 4015 LF ) . Is those specs are correct for bass cab ?

I just have a 2 15 cab do i miss something in high freq that i have before with my old speakers ?

I look on my Galien eq an it goes from 60 to 4000Hz ...... Does it mean i wont be able to go over 1.2KHz with this speaker ?

10. You don't get full range from speakers optimised for subwoofing. In PA terms a lot of our bass speakers are tagged as mid bass.

You know the whomp in the chest you get from a big kickdrum in the subwoofers? 80hz.

mercuryman and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yes.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest contacting US Speaker with the interior dimensions of your cab.

Let them run the numbers for you and advise on the best one for your cab.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022