Special Edition Build-off : Tripppler!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BioWeapon, Mar 28, 2020.

1. I recently picked up a nice short-scale neck from fellow TB'er @hbarcat and given that my workplace might voluntarily close in the coming couple of weeks, I figured... Why not participate?

The launching point, as seen below:
    IMG_20200328_142639.jpg

So blank pictured is freshly glued cherry. I got these P pickups from here on TB as well back in 2014 from Joe Milstein (now banned it seems) who owns Gamma. Generic bent plate bridge I've already got, generic tuners and control plate on the way from guitar parts resource.

The plan!
    - Three reverse P pickups, middle always on and neck/bridge selectable
    - Single volume, passive treble and bass cuts. Pickup switching will be done with some push-pulls I have in my parts bin.
    - The blank you see is 21mm thick, not quite an inch... So I'll be adding a nice colorful top and a matching cherry back layer :)
    - Single cut body style, blatantly modeled off of the Sadowski single cut jazz basses, just don't tell them I did it!

I'm still waiting on my local wood shop to let me know about the thins I ordered...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I'm liking this plan! I mean, what's better than one P pickup?

Outshined91 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  3. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Nice! Nothing better than more precision pickups!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. Oooo the switching options could be endless;)

PWRL and BioWeapon like this.
  5. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Fueled by caffeine and snark. Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Three split coils? You could be getting into Burns territory.

TerribleTim68, HG1180 and BioWeapon like this.
  6. I didn't even have to answer the question! :D

7. Thankfully I have a somewhat simple plan... not that a million switches might not follow in the distant future when I get bored!

postalflunkie likes this.
  8. Today I learned about Burns... Interesting looking instruments! Serious vintage Japanese vibe there.

9. Got the body all traced out - it looks a lot less like the Sadowski single cut than I thought it would have.
    IMG_20200328_163840.jpg

I double checked everything's going to fit... It's tight. Tighter than I had anticipated. IMG_20200328_163814.jpg

You'll have to excuse my soap-and-sanitizer burnt hands.

10. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    How will the upper bout attach to the neck?

11. The heel of the neck extends to the fret before the point where the bout touches the neck. I figure I'll glue the neck in rather than bolt, so I'll undercut the bout to match in the areas the neck doesn't come into contact with it. Part of the upper might not be attached at all at the end though!

12. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    That's nothing....

Interesting build!

BioWeapon likes this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Mmm, this sounds cool. Your switching scheme sounds similar to the Gibson G3. I want to do a G3 one day!

14. Looks cool. If you really want to go nuts, electronics wise, I vote individual on/off switches for each coil or pickup half. You know you’re going to want to know what the bridge E/A and neck D/G sounds like! :smug::woot:

TN WOODMAN and Haroldo like this.
  15. Had no idea what the G3 was until just now, but yes! Pretty similar - with the added solo middle pickup :)

I recently built a guitar with 2 humbuckers, both with a coil tap and one with a phase reversal switch... that's already enough to have me fixated on controls instead of actually playing the thing :D

ctmullins likes this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That's going to be mega-cool! If Sadowsky had done a four-string single-cut I would probably own one by now. **100% CERTAIN, had it been a short-scale.:thumbsup: I'm a huge fan of reverse-P, so applaud your choice there :)

Ethereal Thorn and BioWeapon like this.
  17. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Following. This looks like an interesting and very fun build. I really like the body shape you're doing and can't wait to see it with the special top! What scale length will it be?

18. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Here's a 3 pickup configuration done at Rick Turner's shop in California when they were setting up their new CNC for the Electrolines. The switch allows the middle pickup on by itself or the neck and bridge pickup on together with the middle off. The controls are V-T, and Blend between Neck and Bridge. Simple and I get a lot of tone variation. I thought the switching might be redundant between the two choices but the 2 on vs the middle sounds different.

IMG_9529.JPG
    IMG_9527.JPG

NKBassman and BioWeapon like this.
  19. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    And of course this provides me another opportunity to advocate my favorite three-pickup wiring scheme: master volume, master tone, and a Freeway Switch!

FWS3.jpg

20. It'll be a true short scale at 30" :)

mikewalker, porterbass and 2groggy like this.