1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Club - Part 69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 3, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Patrick, good luck to you in whatever you do next!

I haven't been a Spector Club member very long - just got my first Spector 2 months ago - but I've always lurked a bit on and off in the 4 years I've been at TB and your posts have always been very informative and your electric enthusiasm for all things Spector, not to mention your obvious respect for Stuart Spector and PJ Rubal, definitely had some affect on my decision to get a Spector.

Also, a bit over a year ago when Spectors first caught my eye (though they'd caught my ear long before, being a long-time Queensryche and AIC fan), I sent you a PM asking a question about a Spector I'd seen on Craigs List. I was so surprised when you not only replied to me with a very detailed response, but did so promptly. So thanks! Because of you (and the other enthusiastic members of this fine club!), I'm a proud and happy Spector owner and fan (and sufferer of major SAS). And again, good luck.

2. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    well good luck if you do for the next company what you have done for Spector I am sure they will have as much success..and great pictures of their basses...

3. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Wow take a little time away to get moved in to the new house . And now there's tons of new faces or I guess user names ...lol and one of the most informative Spector player is moving on to new ventures . Wholly crap this club evolves quickly. Well I'm back and its great to see this is still the best club on talkbass. And also to Patrick good luck my friend on your new journey! Jody

4. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    A HUGE +1!!!:bassist:
    Cool!:cool: I know you have a love for uprights...and I've been having a fascination with them as well. Some day...:)
    Now if somebody would make a REAL GOOD acoustic bass guitar, with great acoustic sound projection! :bassist:

5. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I play in a very casual (like 2-3 times a year) bluegrass project. I would love to find a REAL GOOD acoustic bass guitar, with great acoustic sound projection!. About the best I have found was a F----r Kingman, but the thing was basically unplayable. This is a niche product, for sure, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find the right one.

6. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    Patrick, You helped bring the Spector Company from an aging dinosaur brand to an exciting, world class brand. I'm optimistic the company will find a way to build upon your work continue to improve their brand.

Good luck with the next big thing!

7. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    You & me both brother! You're about better off just buying an acoustic big body concert guitar, put bigger strings, and down tune it to BEADGC.
    Don't know why every company falls short on greatness on their acoustic basses when unplugged. :ninja: :confused:

8. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank You for making this transition clear Patrick.....

9. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    :cool: Thanks Carey! I'll check it out!

I hope you like the tone Michael...

OLD??? Lol I'm 55 and started playing bass 6 years ago. Really cool there's 3 of us here starting Scottsbasslessons:bassist: For myself, I'm starting at the beginning...Lesson #1 :) Have fun!

I already started with his Fretless tips, some Jaco stuff, scales....but....I think I will join you at the beginning!

UGH! I hate scale work even though it can help...when I was in High School competing in Regional & State solo contests, I would spend HOURS every night up & down Major & Minor scales until committed to memory...but it paid off in the end...I took 1st place every year and was offered a music scholarship to the University of Michigan. Sigh...those were the days. :bassist::)

That is very cool Michael, I found that I once had a better ear for learning new songs...or...could just listen to the radio a pick out the patterns when I was fresh on my scales, now with the 'busy life' it's always about doing the best tablature I can develop missing some of the notes.

10. yeldarb69 (Brad)

yeldarb69 (Brad) Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    If anyone in the club is interested,i have a non trim tonepump for sale in the classifieds.PM me for a huge club discount.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Because of their low price point, the playability of Kingman basses can vary quite a bit, but there are good ones out there. I scored mine used for about $350, and after I did a thorough setup (new light gauge phosphor bronze strings, truss rod adjustment, sanding & lowering of the bridge saddle, etc.), it plays & sounds as good as the best ABGs that I've tried.

Several TB threads regarding this subject, but it boils down to simple physics. To get the same volume & projection as a good Martin D-28 guitar, an acoustic bass would have to be as large or larger than an upright bass.
    The same thing applies to bass amplification - we bassists need 10x the power and 6x the speaker cone area to match the volume levels of an electric guitar. :rollno:
    This especially frustrates me... While I can easily fit my 400-watt SWR Headlite amp in my gig bag accessory pocket, I'll forever be burdened with having to haul a hefty sized speaker. :bawl:

12. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Might just as well do the gig with your Spector and a small amp. I have a guy with an acoustic group that calls me regularly to play lounge gigs and I just bring a Spector and a small amp (usually with a 2x10 cab, although I'm thinking of going with a single neo 15) and it all works out quite well.

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.