1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Bronco Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by subdude67, May 14, 2018.

1. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have been sent a Squier Bronco for fixing the wiring and while checking it I found one of the magnets on the pickup broken, roughly below the A string. After swapping 1 pot and re-soldering everything the bass works but the sound is uneven, E & A are quite a bit lower volume than the D & G and there is irregular noise when played. Is that caused by that broken Magnet, in other words is a new pickup needed?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    ....and because there is nothing like a picture:

bronco pickup damaged.jpg

Attached Files:

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  3. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Is this a stupid question that deserves no answers....?;)

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Yes :D

On a more serious note, I’d say the noise and volume issues indicate a replacement may be in order. You can try examining the pickup further, try to assess if repair is possible, but at some point it becomes more cost-effective to just get a new pickup.

5. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    The pickups in the Bronco are just cheap stratocaster style singles not optimised for bass - for the amount of work you'd have to put into repairing the magnet you would be as well off buying a new one to replace it and still come out with an improvement in the sound :). A lot of people I've seen talking about modded Broncos have used a generic hot-rails style pickup which eliminates most of the string balance issues.

6. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Thanks, I will suggest a new pickup.:thumbsup:

Would you happen to know if the Seymour Duncan SCPB-2 would fit?

7. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I put a dual rail strat pickup in my bronco and it sounded amazing. I paid $20 for new on eBay. Dragonfire Pickups out of Oregon.

rllefebv likes this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    +1 on rail pickups, but the SCPB2 will fit, too.

9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    You can check out the dimensions of the SCPB-2 here.

10. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have a SD pickup so I will suggest swapping the broken one with it.

Thank you all for your input!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  11. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I put a Lace Sensor Red in my 76 Fender Musicmaster, very happy with it. Very low mid forward which seems to fit very nicely in the mix

12. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    DiMarzio DP188 Pro Track Would be my first choice.

Crescentos likes this.
  13. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Well, there isn't much choice here, it's either the SD or the broken original PU remains in place:D
    But thanks!

14. funkmaster p

funkmaster p Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I realize that this thread is a month old, but if you want an exact replacement pickup, I've got one laying around that I'll give you for free. Just cover my shipping, if interested.

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Definitely go with a “strat” sized pickup... I can say that a ‘51 P style will not work without some modification, (longer as well as different string spacing)... For a Bronco, either a rail type on the cheap, or for a few more bucks, a Sentell... he winds Musicmaster replacement pickups that are fantastic.

-robert

16. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Thanks for the kind offer, I am still waiting to hear from the owner about how he wants me to proceed.

funkmaster p likes this.