Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. yea, I guess I'm gettin' what do y'all call it....GAS? I'm diggin' the white one. At least this isnt a expensive GAS and could easily be bought tomorrow if I wanted. I'll have to get out to guitar center and see if they have one I can try out. I'm just use to a lined fretless. I dont know what it is, but when I first got my SX i hated the fretted neck, the fretless just feels better to me. I wish that squier vintage jazz (jaco lookalike) came in solid colors but then again, i dont care for the chrome control plate. The squier 5 just looks clean.

Steve

2. Good stuff. I just finalized a deal for a sunburst Jazz V deluxe from a fellow TBer...can't wait. I am thinking of de-fretting it...

wemedge

3. bkucera

bkucera

Oct 16, 2005
    Interesting...just the other day I was thinking about how I missed having a 5-string bass. How do you like the B string? Is it as strong as the other strings? In the other thread someone was saying the B and G strings were weak, as if there were a 4-string pickup in this bass. Squier's site says it's a 5-string pickup though.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    These are great basses. If you're going to replace the preamp. I would recommend the aggie OBp-1 or the Sadowsky. This bass was mine... Ran it passive with a Sadowsky Outboard pre and it was impressive.

I would put this bass up against anything $600 or under

D. enjoy the bass!!

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Just played my first serious ass gig with it tonight. New band for me - www.myspace.com/cortezthekiller . I'm tellin you this bass is smokin. It growls and cuts and kicks... A lot different than my other basses and I'm digging it at the moment, bigtime. I'd say more but I gotta get up 5:30am. :/

6. steve21

steve21 Inactive

What, exactly, is the string spacing? Standard Fender 18mm, or 19mm?

7. on the headstock, is the "Squier Jazz Bass" logo chrome? I like the white better, but I ain't feelin' the yellow/gold logo. This one looks good. Can't tell if it's chrome though. I think the black/chrome looks good. I'll probably go with the black one.

Steve

8. The B is not bad -- it's not as nice as my Sadowsky but go figure. Regarding the pups, they are absolutely, positively 5 string pups. I know this because I talked to the Fender Bass Product Manager about it directly.
    Full 19mm spacing.
    The logo is white

[​IMG]

9. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Now you got me all worked up...

Once I'm done with my P-bass Squier from Hell mods, I'll try one of these out more fully. Maybe Nordys and an Aggie or even Sadowsky pre will really make it a killer bass.

10. it looks better than the thick gold logo. I'll probably go with the black. Do you have flatwound strings on there? How do you have it tuned, BEADG OR EADGC? I'll have to search and see the reasons for different tunings. I just remember doin' a search one time and those was the 2 ways mentioned on tuning a 5 string. I want this bass....

Steve

11. I always have my fivers tuned BEADG. Right now, it's wearing the roundwound strings that came with it from the seller and I imagine that they're the stock strings. When I get it set up this weekend, I'll have a fresh set of Hi-Beams put on.

12. DavcomBass

DavcomBass

Nov 2, 2006
    TonyP- likes this.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you going to keep all of them, or sell some off?

14. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm with Munji - did you go all nine the same color? Are you going to do a Clapton and get the best neck, body, bridge, etc.?

15. bkucera

bkucera

Oct 16, 2005
  16. Congrats, that's pretty cool.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's the Achilles' heel of this bass. I've found that if you solo the bridge pickup and dime the mid control while leaving the treble and bass flat, you can get within range of the vintage Jaco "burp," but it's not quite the same thing. I wish it had a preamp bypass.

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I picked up a squier affinity 5, it really looks EXACTLy like that except the RW board and of course the controls (it is pg less now, but it has holes, so there).

I had a set of 5 string fralin single coils, which is why I decided to get this, and I got the audere jz3, which I DO recommend for this bass. Stock, the actual pups I was using were decent can tossed out a ton of low end, a little disproportionate.

Now, the tone is just killin, and yes FULL spacing on a THIN and WIDE neck is something you can't find on other Fender 5s. For those with super js from TBs favorite builders, check out the profile on those squier necks. You may seriously dig it.

Anyways, a plug for the audere pre, and no soldering to boot!

19. Ditto...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021