Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ya..........I managed to not get my feet or other reflections from the body, that's about the only good thing I can say. There's nothing to break up the black body and fretboard. It needs some abalone dots or something :)

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    OK, just got back from the local store--they actually had one in stock!!! It was the sunburst one (which is the one color I didn't want).

BUT, I think I have to agree with you guys here---these are friggin' nice basses!!! If they wouldn't have been out of line with the pricing on it, I might have taken it home (they were asking $374.00 for it!!). I am thinking seriously now about ordering one in white.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Last Friday, I ended up in one of my local music stores. One of my friends, who works there, pointed at a white Squier Jazz Bass and mentioned that it was really nice. I was intrigued, so I had him pull it down. I was immediately floors by both its sound and construction. The B string is incredibly remarkable, rivaling some Bs I've played on $1k+ instruments.

I thought about it all of the next day, and then at the gig on Saturday, I told my guitarist about this awesome bass I played the night before. I told him all about its sound and construction. Then as the punchline, I said that it was a Squier. I went and picked it up on Thursday.

Initial thoughts: This is a killer bass for the price. I generally don't like the sound of my rig in my living room, but I plugged it in a little while ago and was really surprised at how well it sounded. Then I decided to A/B it with my Carvin LB75. Right off the bat, it became clear that the Squier has superior electronics!!! :eek: Carvins generally aren't regarded as having the most cutting edge of pickups and preamps, but it's still a $1300 bass!

Some people have been saying that the Squiers come with crappy strings, and I definitely agree. The stock strings are cheesy as hell. I'll be putting a set of DR Black Beauties (which should look great against the white body and ebanol fretboard) when I take it down to my tech to get a proper setup. Until then, I've been tweaking the intonation so I can use it on the gig tonight. I think that I'm going to turn some heads when I use it!

p.s. I dig the gold Squier logo.

4. Smart move ...that's too much. MF has them for $299 including shipping.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    P.s. What are the pots? From what it seems to me, from furthest towards the neck to closest to the bridge.

1. Volume
    2. Mids
    3. Stacked - Big: Lows, Little: Highs
    4. Pickup Blend

Is this right?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In order.......
    Volume
    Blend
    Bass/Mids [stacked pot]
    Treble

7. zackmacak

zackmacak

Oct 9, 2007
    I agree.. $374 is way to much. I went to my local GC and paid 250 out the door. No doubt a pretty amazing bass. To bad the neck width was way big for me so upon good advice :) I retuned the Squier and purchased the Yamaha BB615. Love it!!

8. steve21

steve21 Inactive

You sure, dude? It's normally bass/treb that's stacked. Then again, I don't own one so I'll take your word for it, but that just seems confusing.

9. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I played one of these tonight at the local GC. It feels much more expensive than its price tag.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda GASing after over the black one. It'd be nice to have a knock around five string. Might end up getting one as a post-Christmas present.

11. Bingo.

This bass is perfect for that.

12. Mine is definately trebble on the top stacked knob and mids below. The last separate knob is bass. I find it to be a very user friendly layout.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'll check mine again. I may be confusing myself with my other bass. :bag:

14. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Here is my take. vol., then stacked treble on top with low under, then mid control. I am running Dr sunbeams and I experience a nice laid back fat finger tone that sits well in the mix with out being intrusive with the slap switch in the down position. I need to be in the up position to get an in your face slap tone.

15. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Sorry I forgot the blend which is second down from vol. Also since I am posting again I find the blend useless since soloing each pickup buts me in hum heaven. Wonder if shielding the pick up cavity would help?

16. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    FL knife maker

Have I got the solution for you!
    check out GLOW IN THE DARK FRET MARKERS FOR GUITAR OR BASS. on Ebay. This just may be more solution then you hoped for.:bassist:;)

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    wow,,, what a day,,, my gf asked me what i wanted to do today, she said anything you want to do is ok by me,, ( as it's my birthday today ).. so i tell her we could take a little trip down to the city, ( san francisco ) & go to GC,, ( & as we're headed out the door i grab an empty gig bag ) :D

we actually find a parking spot right in front of the entrance.. we go in & one of the guys ask if we need any help,,, so i ask if they have a squier deluxe v in stock,, he checks,, he has 2 black ones upstairs, ( nib, sealed ) & i ask him to bring both,,,,,,

after i picked " the one " i had him grab a new set of fat beams,, ( love them fat beams ),,, & the best little part of this little story,,,, when he totaled everything up,,, i reached in my pocket for my wallet,, & my gf grabs my hand & says " i got it,,, HAPPY BIRTHDAY " ( she even ran back out to the car & grabbed the gig bag ) :hyper::hyper:

i've had many basses pass thru my hands,,, but it looks like this ones a keeper,,( if you know what i mean ),,, thanks Keli

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, if I decide to buy one, I'll either order from MF, or wait until my upcoming trip to the Cities, and pick one up from one of the GC's down there.

19. steve21

steve21 Inactive

That's pretty cool dude. Happy b-day.

20. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    That's a great story - all we need now is the "happily ever after"...when you post the pic, that is..:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021