Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Congrats!! Fat Beams are awesome on this bass :bassist:

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    That's what I'm lookng for...

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    These Basses are really cool looking. I know we already cleared up that the pickups are for a 5 string, but does anyone know if the pickups are the same size or 2 different sizes like they should be?

I have a squier 5 string P (which is really a jazz on a p body) and the pups are for a 4 string bass and they're both the same size which makes finding replacements next to imposible.

I'd really love to get one of these in black to mod it. New pups. probably remove the pre, or at least do a active passive switch (i dig passive basses) and add a neck pup cover and string it EADGC. That would be badass.

4. Both pickups are the same width.

5. bkucera

bkucera

Oct 16, 2005
    What do you mean "if the pickups are the same size"? I thought a typical jazz bass had the same pickup in two different locations.

6. Actually no.

In most Fender Jazz Basses (and many other J-style basses), one pickup is slightly longer than the other.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Bartolini puts out pickups that fit standard jazz basses with longer bridge pickups, pickups that fit Fender V with the extra long pickups, and two J pickup packages that fit instruments that have neck and bridge pickups which are the same dimensions.

8. Well after reading this thread.. I went down to one of the local music stores.. they had one in the burst finish.. I played it through a Walkabout amp.. hmmmm I am impressed as all get out... for the amount of cash .. They really do sound great! I am was impressed as to how well the B string sounded on this bass.. I would have done some dealing with them on the bass..but they were asking 374 bucks and would only go down to 349.00.. so it is still sitting there in the store..

Randy

9. Musicians Friend sells them for $299.00 including shipping.....Great Bass...

10. Yes, I know.. that is why that bass is still sitting in the store.. but if they would have let me have it for 299 out the door.. well then.. maybe I would have had a difference of mind.. Their loss..

Randy

11. my local guitar center had one in black. I didnt play it cause I went Sun. and the place was crowded, their bass room is small. The bass was smooth but you can see where it has been played, looked like someone sweated all over this one...lol

Steve

12. OK, I can't leave anything alone. I want to go with the all black look :eyebrow:

It seems like my replacement parts options are somewhat limited. So far it looks like a Hipshot bridge is the only option for a black 5 string in 19mm spacing. I was hoping to modify the body and make ferules for string through.

As far as tuners, I can't seem to find black clover leaf replacements in a 4+1 set or individual ones :confused: If someone can point me to a source, I would appreciate it :)

I'm going to make a carbon fiber (graphite) nut, neck plate and string retainer. Knobs will be easy, I can either make them or buy them. I might buy cheap ones and make carbon fiber inlays in the top.

13. That's gonna be sweet when you finish that. Lookin' forward to seein' pics!

Steve

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    it's strange that the pups are the same width. I have the squier affinity 5, I thought they were really close, but the pups in that are NOT the same width. I had a set of fralin 5 single coils, and they dropped right in, and those are different lengths.

15. I understand what you're saying but both pups measure exactly 92.3mm.

16. That's my gameplan exactly (minus the string through body deal). I was considering the Hipshot bridge (which I have on my MTD Kingston 5) as well, but I'm gonna check out what Gotoh has to offer. Hopefully they have something that's 19 mm and does the retrofit (or close to it) thing. For tuners, I've been thinking Hipshot Ultralites and then the finishing touches being the 5 across string tree, Tusq nut and black dome knobs. I've always wanted a "Vadered" 5 string Jazz and now it's within reach. Great bass as is though. My best purchase of the year by far (aside from that stealth Bongo 5 I'm saving for :ninja: ).

17. Interesting mods guys. I think I'll go in a different direction.

I really want to upgrade the pre and I'm looking for a used Aggie or Bart. After that, I'm going to install a chrome pickup cover and that will be that. :cool:

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think a good pre-amp will be the biggest improvemment on this bass.

19. I was thinking about installing an OBP-1 that I've got laying around, but it's a really aggressive pre. I'll have to do some searching here @ TB when I'm ready to install a new one. I'm not too disappointed in the stock pre right now though.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I picked up a black one today. I figured, 299.99, what the heck. I am genuinely blown away by it. For now, I'll leave it stock, but my love of Basslines may overtake me, and I may have them installed, but make no mistake, this is a VERY good bass. Easily a main bass for someone. She's a keeper! I will be keeping this one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021