Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Now my interest is perking up. Might be time to give 5 strings another go, although the string spacing looks kinda scary.

2. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Yeah but I had no idea of what they were selling for at the time I was at the GC. And it's 1.5 hrs away so I'm planning on mail ordering one for $299.

Did they make this in a 4 banger?? That would be sick too.

:bassist:

3. charliet

charliet

Aug 29, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    good looking

4. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    Well, I finally picked up one of these babies in black yesterday. It performed very well last night at my show. For anyone thinking about buying one, DO NOT HESITATE! However, like DavComBass, I'm converting mine into a 6-string as well! I'll keep ya posted.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I went to GC today looking for one of these but with no luck. I did however find and play a squier affinity series 5 string jazz bass and let me say, that thing put the mexican 5 string jazz to shame. It even had a tighter neck pocket and an overall better feel than most of the other 5 strings I picked up. Squier sure is stepping up its game and I for one am really happy about it.

6. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Yep, the Affinity Standard Jazz V is a great bass indeed. At $199, they are a steal. Yesterday, I managed to snag the Deluxe Jazz Active V for $249. ;)

7. New? :eek:

Great score!!!

8. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Yep, brand SPANKIN' new! My buddy is the store manager. ;)

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    mine was FREE,,, ( see post # 77 ) :D:hyper::D

10. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    a

LOL...............your gf bought it so it was FAR from FREE!!!!!

You'd been better off to have paid MSRP......:D

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    +1 be proud of your bass , if it sounds good and plays good then it doesn't matter if it was made by a mountain goat on crack

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    woodchuck & iotanet your point is clear. the goodness of every instrument to me is related to price tag.
    and this squier is cheap for sure!

by the way, can you (who own or tried the bass) please make some further comments on the neck profile?
    how's it?

thanks once again

13. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    this might seem odd, but did you check the intonation of that bridge?? im just noticing that the b string saddle is WAY forward... usually i find the fatter strings, have the saddles more towards the ball end then the little strings.

seems stupid since im going by visual, but check it im curious

cool looking bass btw.

i have heard that soem squiers are better then some fenders

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Just feel like sharin my experience with string spacing. When I started playing 5 strings a few years back I bought a Cort that had wide spacing. Hated it. Soon after I bought another Cort (Curbow) that had narrow spacing and it made a world of difference. I was able to play it comfortably. Got my Bongo shortly after that (which also has fairly narrow spacing) and played pretty much only 5 strings with that kind of spacing for the past 2 years. Recently started switching back and forth on a regular basis from 4 to 5, and because of the constant changing I'm finding that the wide spacing on the Squier is really comfortable - AND it takes care of the the "I can't slap as well on my 5 as on my 4" problem. Not that I slap all that much.

What's my point? I don't know. Maybe that if you think the wide spacing is going to throw you, it just might not. I'm finding I can be comfortable playing just about anything - after doing it long enough. And the spacing on this thing is a welcome change from what I'm used to.

15. ztpbassman

ztpbassman

Apr 11, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    So I walk into the GC on 14th Street in Manhattan to try out the Little Mark II and I wanted an active bass to try and match my Fodera 5. Nothing sounded good until I picked up the Squier active 5. It not only sounded great but the wide flatter neck reminded me a lot of my Fodera and the ebanol gives it a great slap sound. I thought am I reading the price tag wrong? 299 bucks? The American and Mexican Fenders did zip for me. I love active basses as I think they give me more tonal variation and control. To make a long story short, I bought the LM II which I love and a month or so later, after thinking about it, I ordered the Squier in white.
    It came in a week later, played and looked great, but then I took it to a jam and the preamp started making intermittent noises. Bummer. Took it back and a week later the new one came in. Next night I took it to a 10 piece gig - medium crappy sounding room with a good band, and I was knocked out. I haven't played an off-the-rack bass in years and this is as good as I've played. It's no Fodera, but it's no slouch either, and for gigs where the weather or the room might not be so conducive to leaving an expensive bass around, the Squier is perfect, and I'm not talking about big time sacrificing sound. And the white with white headstock looks great against the black outfits we usually wear. My two cents. A great bass for the buck, but a great bass in general. A manual and warranty did not come in the box. That would have been nice. Been trying to figure out the buttons. When you kick in the slap switch it seems to bypass the treble/bass concentric pot, right? I'm still fiddling with it.
    Thumbs up.

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    absolutely love the wide string spacing,, feels just like all my 4 bangers with the added benefit of a G string,, ( as they're all strung BEAD ) :D

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For me, the treble, bass and mid controls all work regardless of whether the slap switch is set to "thick" or "thin." Obviously, the range of cut and boost is more obvious on the "thick" setting.

18. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    Played one of these, and was really impressed!

The only issue for me is that the sound was a little too aggressive (if that makes any sense). I'm going to get one, and am thinking of replacing the stock strings (Fender rounds) with some half-rounds, D'addario was the only brand I could find online. I play primarily on flats, but I want to be able to keep a bit of growl in the palate without as much finger noise, etc.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

19. Has anyone gone forward with their modifications of the Jazz Active V? Has anyone changed the pickups or the preamp? Very interested to hear about your results.

20. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    oh ya,,, this bass is a keeper for sure,, but it will be perfect, ( to me anyways ) with a couple of simple mods

i've ordered a set if Nordstrand Big Singles and a set of Hipshot Ultralites ( as there is a bit of neckdive with all those tuners on this one ) from John Wymore,, got a pickup routing template coming in from Best Bass Guitars, & after all of the shielding is done, i just want a pure organic tone, so it'll be a passive circuit in this one, VVTT. ( besides,, if i do need the benefits of active tone shaping, i've got a Xotic Tri-Logic pre on my pedalboard )

i really like this bass,, ( or i wouldn't have dumped the cash for the mods ) :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021