Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    My My My.... I tried a black one today at GC and I'm just in Love! This thing is unbelievable for the $$$ but unfortunately GC had it listed at $499.99 and wouldn't do any better than $399.99 almost bought it anyhow but I decided I'd do a little TB searching.....lol.

It plays way better than anything costing three times as much! The B was a little wobbly though, the String through the body idea might remedy this though.
    And all this was found out BEFORE I got home and searched TB for this thread....lol.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just ordered a white one today.

3. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Woodchuck,
    Aren't these basses UNREAL for the money????

BTW-didn't you used to play Benavente/LEJ's?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    These basses are amazing for the price. These basses would be great @ 500.00.
    Yeah, I had a Bene. I let Za Williams (Arrested Developement) borrow it to play a TV show in Japan, and he gave me 1700.00 and told not to expect it back. He still has it.

5. is that what the bass was worth? or did you get screwed on the deal? I thought those basses cost more than that?

Steve

6. I finally had time to track down and order my black hardware. Hipshot tuners, Badass V bridge. The rest of the black replacement parts, I'll make myself. It will be a few weeks before I get time to pimp my bass but I'll take some pics when it's done :bassist:

7. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    One more "believer" here. I went to GC the other week and tried out their lone model (black) in the store. I was very impressed. It was still available the next weekend, so I snatched it up and gigged with it that very night. For the price, I can't believe the nice tone this thing has. I used to own a Lakland 55-01. The Squire has a very similar feel, plays cleaner, and sounds more natural (in slap mode). I now use it along with my Ric in my regular show schedule.

8. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Mine's bass/treb stacked, too.

9. I tried mine at a gig over the weekend. It sounded ok but not as good as my jazz V with emgs. Anyway it is a good value for the price that is for sure. BUT if you are used to narrow string spacing like I am you may find this hard to play. I lasted a set and set it down and went back to my Jazz. I have small hands so I'm not sure if it will be a matchup physically. Chris P.

10. I changed the strings and I was stunned at the difference. I'm a big fan of Hi-Beams and with them, this bass sings!

As I mentioned before, the preamp doesn't have a very wide range of adjustment but what is here is extremely useable -- it's right in the "sweet spot" -- at least to my ears.

By the way, I have also noticed that both the GC's that I frequent here in the Twin Cities now have these in stock. (As opposed to 3 weeks ago when nobody in the store had even heard of them.)

Great value -- great bass. :cool:

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I'm gonna have to start looking for one...
    Maybe all the fuzz is true.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are you serious?? Look here....
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-Active-V-5-String-Bass-512618-i1173146.gc

They must have had it mis-tagged. This is THIER price! $499 is the MSRP, not the actual selling price. Go back and ask for the manager and show him the flyer with the correct price.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    white would me my color of choice.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Interesting, even more since you are used to really good basses such as sadowsky!

15. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Business travel granted me the opportunity to try one of these at the Skokie, IL GC a few nights ago…great bass for the price! It was a bit heavy, but at this price point, Fender/Squier is probably not selective concerning body wood. The neck and slick fingerboard are pretty nice. String spacing is nice for slap (this alone would make me choose this over an SX 5-string). I wasn’t fond of the preamp, but it sounded workable flat. Sonically, the B was a bit weak and didn’t have the clarity of the other 4 strings, but this is true of instruments costing much more. New strings would probably improve the weak B situation. It definitely cops the J-bass vibe and I had a hard time putting it down. I found it more inspiring to play than the Ibanez ATK that available next to the effects displays (my original reason for going).

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Exactly. It's not my main bass by any stretch, but she will be getting alot of playing time. Right now, the Bacchus is #1.

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    can a passive switch be added to this ?

18. I don't see why not. Obviously, you'd have to be mindful of some of the limitations of wiring a bass passive, i.e. sometimes a passive bypass will render the tone controls useless.

By the way -- I see that everyone is really digging this thread but I need to make sure nobody is misled. I am not saying that this bass is perfect and that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I happen to believe that it is the best bass I've ever played at it's price point. Is it better than a Fender American Jazz? Not to me. (although I do like the Squier's neck profile better.)

Is it better than a Lakland JO5? Nope but some may prefer the Squier's 34" scale.

For me, the exciting thing about this bass is that I have never played a bass at this price point that looks/feels/sounds as good as this one. Nor have I ever played a Squier that has this level of feel and quality.

It's all about perspective and value for the dollar. If this bass cost $750, I would have higher expectations. At $299, this bass delivers!

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    +1!

20. I'm really gassing for this bass. Waiting for mine to arrive, also got a set of la bella tapewounds on the way from juststrings.com...

also thinking of picking up the vintage modified jazz fretless...

this is a great thread!

wemedge

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021