Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    that's what scares the hell out of me,,,, all these guys that " buff " off the squier ( or whatever logo ),, & replace it with a fender logo,,, then they wind up dumping them on CL or ebay as a fender american,,, happens all the time

i don't own any fender bassses,, for exactlly that reason,, i especially wouldn't ever buy one used,, & i wouldn't buy one new either,, i mean, i don't want to git ripped from the fender factory either, just cause it has a fender logo on it,,

BUT,,, i would buy a new squier

2. I'll admit, I'm guilty of thinkin' about replacing the logo to Fender :bag: But, I have since changed my mind reason I think I'll go with the black. The white one has a big ugly gold squier logo. The way the black is done looks better in my opinion. And since I'll be leavin' the logo, I felt this is the best way to go. Even though I do like the white better...

Steve

3. well, another change in plans. After seein' a fender aerodyne jazz on ebay the seller said "fingerprint magnet". Guess you can pretty much expect that with any black bass though? This is what I want though. I love the jazz body without the pickguard and control plate, this is just a smooth lookin' bass. Would love to see a bass this style with blue quilt top....

Steve

4. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

Aug 10, 2005
    Detroit
    yep, them Fender Squires are made with Love.

5. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I picked one up few weeks ago.
    This bass is a steal.
    Love the neck.
    B-sring is good.
    Pickups, will change at some point.
    But, they sound ok.

Setup was great out of the box.
    This bass plays very well.

A great deal for the $$$$.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fender would have a whole new niche in the market if they made pickguard-less J's & P's!

7. Yes, I removed the guard from my sx P-Bass last night waitin' for my tort guard to come in. I thought how awesome the bass looks without a guard, but cant be done on this with all the routing...

Steve

8. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i did also play the squire active V bass at GC (the black one). i must say that is was the best 5'er under $300 i have ever played hands down. maybe the best under $700.. it was that good. the neck felt great, i looked good, sounded good, etc... way better than the fender mex V or the other squire V which both felt kind of clumbsy. a really good bass at a good buy.

a white one with matching headstock may be in my future as a back-up beater 5 string, but i am concentrating on waiting for that duff pj bass to come out as my next purchase. i can't take the stingray V everywhere and that squire may be handy. i had also thought of putting a fretless 5 neck on it (the squire). wonder if it'd work?

as far as the squire logo.. i do wish it said fender, but oh well. i once tried removing the SX logo and putting a fender one on a headstock once, but it looked so sloppy and unnatural and i did a really crappy job of it. leave that stuff to the pros or the cons.

mm

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hey guys, anyone have an idea of the control cavity can fit a bart pre? have a spare one lying around and have half a mind of picking up a bass for a rehearsal space and dropping the pre in there. if not thats cool, i'll play it stock as well, just want to see if i'd get value out of the pre.

pics would be awesome as well.

10. We had an hour+ wait for dinner so I went down the street to GC. I walked out with one :hyper:

My first recommendation........ check the neck and bridge screws, mine weren't very tight. One of the bridge screws was stripped, so I fixed that easily. Other than that, the damn thing sounds great. After playing the stock strings in the store and for about a half hour when I got home, I installed a new set of MM Fat Beams. Even with the new string coating on them, they make a world of difference. They provide that complex Marcus Miller sound, tight lows with zing and sparkly highs. I think the preamp, as is works rather well. Mine puts out one heck of a boost with a very wide and useful range of tone. The B string is better than many basses cost MUCH more. It's also a great slap bass. The Ebanol fretboard is sort of different but not in a bad way. I have several active Jazz 4 strings with well known pups and preamps, I see no reason to change the stock system in the Squier, maybe I'll change my mind after a while but right now, I couldn't be happier with it. If I spend any money, it will be for black hardware :cool:

I'm going to keep the Squire logo proudly in place. I swore I was done with 5 strings but it's nice to have one again. This is by far the best bass I've ever played for the money, other than my almost 30 year old T-40.

11. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yes I also played one of these at guitar center, amazing... i litterally A/B'ed this one with an Amercian Deluxe 5'er, and well, of course I liked the American one better, just felt like it was "built" better, but really the squier was like a small step down.. like a very very small step down for like hundreds of dollars less...

how much are these puppies new? I didnt pay attention to the price tag

How would it compare to a SX jazz bass? not a 5 string sx?

12. $299 from Musiciansfriend. I would imagine that GC is in that same ballpark.

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    The one I played at GC in Hobart was on clearance for $249. I didn't leave with it, though I did love the way it played. I might go back for it once the bills are paid.

14. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    So thats where the black one went. I didn't see it tonight and I was gonna try it. I wound up with a couple new basses tonight myself, but I won't derail the thread. Seems like Squier has another hit on their hands. Wonder if its making a dent in MIM Fender sales, with this and VM Squiers?

15. I walked out of GC yesterday with my Squier, Roadrunner case and a set of Fat Beams for for a grand total of $358.43

Not too bad :bassist:

16. They didn't have any others in stock, I would have prefered a white one. This black color is a fingerprint magnet for sure :) You're more than welcome to try mine, shoot me a PM!! They have a nice used Warwick Corvette but they need to come down a bit more on the price.

17. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You must have missed (or didn't want) one of the two used Spector Euros they had. An amber 4 string P/J and a black cherry 5 string. Got em both for a little over a grand. :hyper: I can't take the 4-string home until it passes their 30 day wait time on used instruments, which is mid-November. Did you talk to the dude that works the basses? He might come down on the price of that Warwick if you ask him. He didn't move too much on the Spectors, but they were already priced way too low. They also have a nice used MIM P-bass for under $300 that knocked me out. It was dark red. But, I already had the wife convinced I needed both Spectors, I wasn't going to push my luck any further:).

Back on topic, maybe I'll do that. If I get a gig soon, maybe I'll PM you and I can play it for a song or two. I don't think we have anything coming up very soon though.

18. Not only is it a fingerprint magnet, it's the most unremarkable bass I've ever photographed :confused: It looks great in person but trying to capture it on pixels isn't easy. :mad: After playing it for a while again this morning, I still love it :bassist:

Anyway, this is the best I could do in natural Florida overcast light :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. You are absolutely right about that. For people like us with basic (at best) photography skills, it's hard to bring it to life in pictures.

It's definitely a better looking bass in person than photos show.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm. I think I need to go check to local dealers today and see if they have one of these in stock.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021