1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier J Bass (Made in Korea CN5) issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrMoo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. MrMoo

MrMoo

Sep 27, 2013
    hey homies
    I'm a reformed guitarist who's suddenly decided to pick up a bass. So a friend sold me a Squier he had catching dust in his basement for very little money. The bass is a Made in Korea J Bass made by Kor Tek in '95. The bass was in ok cosmetical condition but it does need a bit of TLC
    My main issue is the action. I can fit almost fit a finger between the strings and the fretboard. Being a guitarist I find that so hard to play and I am a bit confused. Did I get the wrong bass or is there a way I can reduce the action so that I don't kill myself playing that?
    Now I have 2 options, take it into a workshop and get it set up for me (I still have my mate's strings on from WWII and they are as stiff as iron rods, plus one of the screws that holds one of the pick ups is sticking out and aesthetically is not the best) or sell it and get a bass with a more guitar friendly action (Ibanez, Yamaha, Cort)
    Any thoughts. Sorry I sound like a moron, but I'm still a newbie

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings and Welcome! :hyper:

Sounds like you need to take it in for a proper set-up. Depending on where you go, it shouldn't cost more than $50-$75, not counting any new parts necessary. I would also suggest some new strings for you to break-in yourself.

I took my first bass to a local music shop, bought a new set of strings at the recommendation of the clerk and left it for their off-site tech to give it the once-over. What I didn't pay for, but was just as valuable, was the peace of mind when told my first-ever bass was in excellent condition and a great score.

Oh, by the way, there's a tacit rule 'round these parts. No pics…no bass. Just a friendly little FYI. ;)

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Welcome to the low end. Bass is unlike a guitar in that they need regular attention to the setup; with the length and strung tension, necks are pretty much changing with changes in humidity throwing the setup out. It is no little wonder we bassists are so hung up on our setups. Go over to the hardware section and read the "stickies" about setups. It's best to learn how yourself.

BUT have it setup the first time by a reputable tech that is recommended by others. They will go over it and check the truss rod operation (broken or rusted on nut), check for warped neck, check fret level and condition. Enjoy.

4. Option 3. Trade it to me for a perfectly set up P/J also a Squier, 2004.

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Hmmm…what color is it? :ninja:

6. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Send the pic via email. Should work.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Analyze the bass .. take a look at where/why the action seems to be so high .. is it at the bridge, are the saddles set so high that the strings are way off the pick-ups as well ??? .. if so, crank them down a little bit at a time ... is the neck in a bow, and if so, where is the most bow taking place?? ... is it mid neck and actually raises back up at the heel where it meets the body (not good), or is it the entire neck with nut at a high point and the heel at what could be considered a low point (better chance to correct)... that would be truss rod adjustment ... if it is extensive, it may not come back without putting the neck in a 'backbow' set-up, clamped and blocked .. probably not a do it yourself deal, but not rocket science if you have done it ... if it is a combination, you may need adjust truss rod and saddles ... take an analytical look at what you have, and then re-post ... a detailed explanation (pics even better) will help ... without more info, useless to even speculate ...

Some of those mid 90 Squiers had VERY nice necks ... quite often laminate bodies (plywood), and really aren't worth a whole lot in the market place .. I paid under $100 for both that I have had ... so it may not pay to buy it, then try to sell it, just to get something better ... especially if it is in poor repair, or not repairable .. you then have parts for sale, not a bass ...JMHO

8. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    Loosen the strings for now if your broke & adjust the truss rod with the proper size allen wrench if applicable- eyeball the neck from the tuning end & turn clockwise until the neck moves more toward the strings. Tighten the strings & test. Check the bridge height & adjust if you get persistent buzzing. Eventually you should be able to remedy the problem.