Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    It might have cost $200 new, but nobody's charging $200 for them anywhere now because they aren't being made any longer. Looking at what they're going for on eBay and Reverb (when you can find them), $550 isn't an exorbitant price.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't make a lower offer if I was interested.
    It's fair, unfortunately. But if you want it, offer him $500. Or offer him $450 and point out that handing it to you means he doesn't have to ship it anywhere.

Burtt and DavesnothereCA like this.
  2. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    OK, sounds good to me. I will offer mine up for $800. It has a Player P pup in the neck position, is black and has a tort pickguard. Any offers?

If not, I will just keep it and enjoy playing the heck out of it...;).

3. Tex Bass

Tex Bass

Jan 16, 2018
    DFW, TX
    Sold mine recently for $525... but it did have EMG pickups and custom paint job.

Screenshot_20210712-193714_Chrome.jpg

berman3313 and DavesnothereCA like this.
  4. I KNEW I should have bought a second one of these...

5. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I sold my 3rd SS Jag for $179 :(

But that was before the global insanity kicked in. o_O

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Noice!

I did something similar but decided to paint it black: 20210713_091411.jpg

berman3313 likes this.
  7. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    That bass gave me a serious GAS attack ! :drool:

I had to remedy it by buying something else nearby. :D
    ~

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Tex Bass and SoulReflection like this.
  8. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    And those prices are in US dollars ! :jawdrop:

I ought to offer up mine, and see what the market will bear.

And it will bear such prices until the folks who like Jag SS basses decide that they like something else more, at which point the going price for the Jags will decline.

BTW, not everybody wants as much for them, even now.

I saw a red one listed near Toronto Canada the other day for $240 Canadian.

But I live around half of that price away in fuel for the round trip.

AFAIK, it's still listed.
    ~

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    SoulReflection likes this.
  9. Very true, I picked one up about a month ago for $120, there are definitely some deals out there ($250-$300 asking price seems pretty common around here.) Having said that, I wouldn't sell it for twice that amount, I've really come to love this slim neck!

IMG_20210403_215438.jpg

10. Blue57

Blue57

Sep 1, 2019
    Manchester UK
    Jag.jpg Can I sign up for the club please? Newish player and managed to get mine off eBay for £200 in 2019 after trying all UK stores for a new one. Don't really have the skills yet for serious mods but added D'Addario flats and my untrained ears love the tone from the stock PUPs. Not sure about the replacement pickguard, (also off ebay) may change it back to the original black.

11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    The pick guard looks good. I'd leave it on.

12. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    Someone just sold a stock red Jag SS on Craig's List in Southern California for $200. It looked like it was in pretty good shape.

SoulReflection and OtherLisa like this.
  13. Robin Gielis

Robin Gielis

Jul 14, 2021
    I have a Squier Jaguar SS but always wanted a roadworn Fender Mustang JMJ.
    Played the JMJ at a music center and in the end I liked my Jaguar 'almost as much' as the JMJ.
    But there was also a Jazz in a light natural finish that grabbed my attention, but it's a 34" and not a 30".
    So I did some hardcore elbow hurting sanding.
    The Agathis body isn't the most beautiful, but I'm satisfied.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Very Nice!

15. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    Have you coated it yet?

16. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    BACK TO THE PICK-UP TOPIC

I love the sound of my Jag SS with only the P-Bass pickup, and I'd be perfectly content if this bass had only the neck pickup. I don't have OCD or anything, but I feel like the J pickup should be doing something because it's just there. It just sits there in the off position, and something inside me feels like there's some kind of imbalance or something. Plus, it might be nice to have the J-Bass sound for certain occasions.

If I turn the stock bridge pickup on, it provides nothing to the sound unless I turn it up all the way, which mostly serves to drain power from my P pickup.

So, I asked here a while back for advice about buying a pair of PJ pickups, but most of you responded by saying that, since I'm content with the stock P pickup, I could simply buy a single low-noise J pickup. That sounds like a good idea, because I like the prospect of playing without extra noise from the J.

Considering I might go this route (keeping the stock P pickup and installing a new J), has anyone done this with true success? Which model worked out for you?

Thank you.

SoulReflection likes this.
  17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I tried for years to find a Jazz Bass bridge pickup I like the sound of with no luck. I finally realized I simply don't like the sound of bass bridge pickups either alone or in combination with other pickups so I no longer try to use them. Middle and neck pickups, no problem.

18. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Well, I have the same questions as you have but, I do not have all the answers, yet.

I did install a $25 Fender bridge pup and it did help a lot.

I also moved the pup from my Player P to the neck position on the Jag. It has made a world of difference as far as the P sound is concerned.

I ordered an EMG Geezer PJ (passive) set of pups that I was going to install in the Mustang but am considering installing them in the Jag instead. The Jag is so comfortable to play that I thought this would be my first choice to install them.

I will let you know how they worked out when I have had a chance to install them. I will record some samples and post them at that time.

My belief is that any quality pups will improve upon the tone of the Jag as the stock strings (moved to LaBella Flats) and pups are the weakest link.

19. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    This is a radical solution, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone else.
    The SS Jag on the left in this pic was routed for a Mustang pickup - to make a Jagstang out of it.
    I like the sound of it.

The one on the right was a simpler solution of just replacing the stock pickups with DD pickups from a 34" scale Jag.
    I also put a 3 way switch in it. The bridge pickup sounds OK, but I don't like it as much as the Mustang one. Click the pic:

2 Jag SS - Copy.JPG

20. BigAndyA

BigAndyA

Aug 7, 2018
    Tennessee
    I have Jaguar VM SS arriving at my house tomorrow. It's the Candy Apple Red finish which is a nice color but I'd really like to have a sunburst finish on it. Has anyone stripped the factory color off and finished in either a natural or sunburst finish? I saw a sunburst that apparently came from the factory in a post from last year but I would like to see if the underneath wood is decent enough for a sunburst. I'll post a photo when it gets here and request a club number than.

Thanks in advance.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021