Sr 500 or sr 900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ifender, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    Which one is better?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

sr900

3. One has a Mahogany body, one has a maple body.

One is bolt-on, the other is neck-through.

One has an oval shaped body, the other has a "scooped back".

Otherwise, they're pretty similar.

4. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I've only played an SR505, but I found the whole SR500 series to have extremely comfortable necks. I thought the bart MK1 pickups were a bit dull sounding, though versatile.

Cant comment on SR900 but I'm sure someone else can.

5. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    Which one has a mahogany body?

6. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    What exactly is better?

7. The SR500 has an oval shaped mahogany body and a bolt-on neck.

8. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    Why is sr 900 better?

9. locisbrelm

locisbrelm

Nov 6, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    Why is the 900 better? More sustain, better build, "scooped" back is comfortable as that blonde at the bar, looks amazing, sounds even better! the new ones with mahogany and emgs rock! Tour worthy! My bass is beat up but still looks beautiful. Only bested by way more expensive basses. ones that cost double. I know, I have one and only stopped playing it for a Spector. Here's a clip.
    Indictment - YouTube

Though I play Spectors now, this bass hold a special place in my heart.

10. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I have an SRT805DX. I believe the 900 is similiar, basically the same with different woods. All the SR's have basically the same neck but the neck through is worth the differense in sustain and I absoloutely love heel on the neck through. The scooped body shape is pretty comfy too.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I was just checking and the SR900 has an arched top with Barts. The SRT805 or SRT900 has the scooped body with EMG's. I was confusing the SRT and the SR series.

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The SR500 is a great bass for the money.

The SR900 is an amazing bass for the money. As someone else said the curved back is comfy and the build quality is superb. I've had a SR1005 for several years (basically a 900 series with upgraded electronics and monorail bridge) It played great. After a fret job it is the best playing 5 string I've ever put my hands to. Seriously.

So the Sr500 is Roast Beef. Tasty and nothing wrong with it (unless you're a vegetarian)

The SR900 is Filet Mignon. Yeah I want some more.

generalduncan likes this.
  13. locisbrelm

locisbrelm

Nov 6, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    +1

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I don't have any direct experience on the 500 vs 900 debate, but I have owned both the 505 and the 905, FWIW - and the differences between the two lines are likely the same...

They seem to share the same pups and preamp, typically - although the 905 seems to be slightly clearer sounding in a band mix, yet has a warmer sound to it - for lack of a better description... Being a neck-thru, the 905 offers both top loading and string-thru options - which *to me* aren't any big deal... but, neck-thru's also typically have better upper fret access - which holds true here, too...

The 905 has a poly finished neck, the 505 doesn't - which may make a difference to some... As noted, the 905 has a "dished out" body - which I didn't think I was going to like, but actually did - it's very comfortable... They both appear to have the same bridge and tuners...

I've owned the 405, 505, 535, 655, 755, 905, and 3005 - and out of all of them, have kept the 905 - if that tells you anything... I would've kept the 3005, but flipped it for a profit to partially fund the purchase of an SR5 HH - it was a really nice instrument, but the 905 still gets the job done, and gives me a light 5er with a different sound than my SR5 - for around $500 used...

In short, if they're both in the same condition, I would pay an extra $100-$200 to go with the 900 - if it were me...

Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

15. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    Ok but is à sr 900. For $500,- à good deal.

16. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I say go for the SR 1200 to get the included Nordstrand pickups. just played one at a GC by me and it was very nice.

17. SR900 for $500 is a decent deal I think. A brand new SR500 sells for $600 I believe.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    In good condition, I'd say it's alot of bass for the money - you could certainly do worse... IIRC, I paid a little over $400 for my sr905, and it has alot of buckle rash on the back, but zero fretwear - which is a bit odd - and I'm glad to keep it...

When I'm shopping for basses, I take a look at what they're going for on GC's used gear pages and on ebay - that'll usually give you a pretty good guage of market value...

- georgestrings

19. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    In good condition

20. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    _c207916_image_0.jpg
    Just like this

It's transblack
    With THE Same guitar chest
    And à 30watt amp :3

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021