St. Pat's Day: Setting ourselves up to flop horribly?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dalkowski, Feb 24, 2024.

1. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    We are not an Irish music band. We don't know any Irish songs. But a pub where we had a successful first-time gig a few months back reached out to our BL asking if we do any Irish music and are we available SPD weekend.

BL thinks learning 3-4 Irish ditties and sprinkling them into our usual jazz/blues/roots repertoire would be enough for a 3-hour night. I think he's clueless, and that we need to come correct with a full quiver of appropriate music for a proper SPD rager (not to mention the inevitable requests requests requests).

Drummer was worried about not being invited back if we say "no," but I've brought him around to the greater likelihood that we wouldn't be invited back if we were lame.

(Also, we don't really have time/opportunity to research/select/learn/rehearse the songs we'd need.)

I'm a "no" on this idea. Am I being a chicken-:poop:?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Do it. Seriously, can’t you just play some Thin Lizzy and maybe a couple deep album U2 cuts and have fun with it?
    The entire objective of St Patrick’s Day in the US is alcohol poisoning and green barf. There’s no remote chance anyone at (insert venue name) will be sober when they arrive, including the staff. Just play and have fun.

3. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Wow - I was totally hung up on more trad Irish music (including the Pogues, if they count) and totally forgot Lizzy and U2. (It doesn't help that I'm not Irish....)

Now I'm re-thinking this (although prep time will still be a challenge). Thanks KF.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once...

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Van Morrison is Irish.
    U2 is Irish.

5. Michael Stanley 2112

Michael Stanley 2112 Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    I think you're right on the money. If I'm going out to an Irish Pub on Saint Patrick's Day, I want to hear all the songs I heard growing up in my grandmother's parlor and some of her brothers actually fought with Michael Collins. So, they can be a bit ... rough.

Wisebass, GlennRH, Crispus and 8 others like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nobody who is going to stumble into a bar in the US on St Patrick’s is going to know or care. You could literally wear a green hat and play Rock Lobster. Don’t overthink it.

I quite enjoy proper Irish folk music. But that day in this place is about “wooooo”

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I think you need a much clearer idea of what the pub owner/manager wants when he asks if you "do any Irish music." You, the BL, and the rest of us can speculate all day about whether that means traditional Irish music or anything from Ireland, or whether he wants a whole night of Irish music or would be satisfied with a light sprinkling of a few songs across your regular sets. If you had a clearer idea of what he wants you'd be in a much better position to decide whether or not to take the gig, and if so what you need to do.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless it's a very IRISH bar, it shouldn't matter. But if you have doubts, speak to the owner.

salmon256, retslock, ELG60 and 13 others like this.
  9. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    Da U P eh!
    Whatever you do, don't f*ck up Danny Boy.

10. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Yes, BL has reached out to clarify expectations. (I'm a big believer in knowing what's expected.)

pcake, Wisebass, ELG60 and 7 others like this.
  11. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    We wouldn't dare:

12. I think it’s difficult enough to get an ITM band on that date, and it’s usually at a premium. They probably don’t care as long as people are drinking and singing.

13. Five or Six

Five or Six

Jun 21, 2022
    West Michigan
    You guys already played there. The owner knows what you are about or he wouldn't have hired you. So it's pretty much on him. Don't go in and "try" to play Irish music unrehearsed! Can you spell cluster?

14. Learn Whisky in the Jar! You can do the Thin Lizzy version and then the Metallica version!

15. The_Meatwagon

The_Meatwagon

Jun 5, 2017
    I’m part Irish, and I would be pumped if I walked into a bar on SPD and it wasn’t Irish music…

16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene Oregon
    I’ve a buddy who after a long night of partying plays guitar and sings Irish tunes about boats sunk, pretty girls that ignore him and such. Look up Irish folk tunes, easy tunes, rousing choruses, easy peasy….

Mark Karwan and RocknRay like this.
  17. ebo

ebo Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I was in a trad Irish / cover band and we could go full Irish, full cover or both. I was intimidated by the Irish stuff at first but when you start playing it, the songs aren’t rock science. Whiskey in the Jar is a perfect example, and one you should definitely do. I’m gonna be (500 miles) by the Proclaimers is an overdone Irish anthem but is easy and goes over really well. Brown Eyed Girl is Van Morrison, technically Irish, just sayin. I used to like doing Dirty Old Town and since Shane MacGowan recently passed something by the Pogues should be thrown in.

18. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    The Pogues, Thin Lizzy, Van Morrison, Dropkick Murphys, U2, Sinead...

Don't overthink it. Just learn a handful of tunes, bring your "battle conditions only" gear and have fun.

Rich67, Maartenaerts, pfschim and 4 others like this.
  19. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    You sure?

20. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    The Proclaimers were Scottish!