1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stadium Arcadium

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 30, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, it leaked.

I'm currently on the third song, and I must say so far I'm quite dissapointed. Extremely lacking in funk. Not bad, but no funk, and nothing so far that has rivaled the early days.

What does everyone think?

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I promised myself that i'd only listen to the album versions of the songs i've already heard. I was really quite impressed. Although still lacking in funk, not as much so as By The Way. I think this will be a stellar album.

3. I'm in the same boat right now. I have the feeling it'll probably grow on me though.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Just finished, and I'm very dissapointed. Where's the funk? Reminds me the most of Californication, which isn't a good thing. Not what I was hoping for.

5. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Of course it's lacking in funk, RHCP haven't had any funk in their music since Blood Sugar Sex Magik. In fact, I don't even want to hear the new album. Ever.

Since Frusciante started doing two-note solos on Californication, I have no respect for the band. And seeing Keidis not hit ONE note in tune on 'Live at Slane Castle' I can't believe anyone likes them at all.

6. What should be bad about that ? :confused:

7. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    its certainly lacking in that magic that the red hot chilis once had

i listened to about 80% of it, not a lot of it really stood out really

its not really as rock, or as funky as anythign theyve ever done

its just like...soft rock or something

i dont really like it that much

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yep, listen to Maiden instead:) They never dissapoint you.

9. Well, Hump de Bump is a kickass song.

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I can't say the album really clicked with me so far, it feels as if they decided to stick to their new radio soft rock formula and threw in some token funky tracks such as "Hump de Bump" to please their fans.
    I also wonder where the "heavy" tracks are? Besides "Storm in a Teapot" (which is pretty great, by the way) I can't seem to find any. "Tell me baby" is still great, although I kind of prefer this live version:

11. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    man...
    im a big peppers fan, of the old and new stuff. i though californication was a stellar album. they just arent the kind of band to release the same album 8 times, some people like that i guess:bag:

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I don't want the same album, but I don't want the pop rock either. Their funk was way better than Californication or By the Way. Just because it has funk doesn't mean it's going to be the same as BSSM.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

That's not even a bad idea, I don't want to loose anymore respect for them than I did after hearing By The Way.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have only heard the first single on the radio , I will most likely buy the record when it comes out.

15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive listened to it too, its no where near as funky compared to BSSM, but it does have some funky songs

16. Never been a fan, but I love the new video.

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Californication is my favorite album of RHCPs - don't hurt me!

So what if it's pop-rock, it's full of pep and originality.

18. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Example of good changes in bands style: Beatles, Radiohead

Example of bad changes: RHCP

I like change, I don't like bad music. Is it a coincidence that they're more popular than ever? No. Every 12 year old girl in the world listens to them now, because it's bland top 40 pop. And there's a lot of 12 year old girls in the world.

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Did you guys hear that they're somehow releasing old singles that didn't make it onto really old albums? There's a couple from BSSM and one or two from Californication...read it in the latest Rolling Stone. Anyway, I've heard some of the new one and it's not that exciting IMO. Flea and Chad Smith look Very Old these days.

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I read about that too in a Wikipedia article, at least one of the songs (Melancholy Mechanics) is even One Hot Minute-era material.