1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stagg EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by derrenleepoole, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I ended up getting in some financial trouble, and hocked mine! But it's still there! I keep threatening to go buy it back...

2. Mike Borelli

Mike Borelli Inactive

Oct 17, 2018
    no, you'll need an agent, like a person who can play using a bow.

3. Linus27

Linus27

Aug 26, 2007
    Just wondering if anyone runs their Stagg through any kind of pedals to enhance the double bass sound? I know in the Kala Megathread, some of the users do this to some success to get a deeper, thumper, more organic double bass sound.just wondering if anyone is doing the same with their Stagg EUB?

4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I've been using the Ampeg Classic Pre since it's pretty benign and a Broughton LPF/HPF. I'm sure there's better options, but this is what I have right now. I was also thinking of adding a reverb pedal but haven't found one that would work, most seem just to get lost in the melee of sound an ensemble makes.

Linus27 likes this.
  5. AG42

AG42

Mar 29, 2010
    England, UK
    I use a Fishman Full Circle pickup, into a Fishman BII preamp and an MXR M88 reverb...and lots of tweaking...

Linus27 likes this.
  6. AlienNed

AlienNed Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Rural Fort Worth, TX
    I've read this thread but haven't seen if anyone has attempted to replace the electronics in this bass. I like the feel of the upright but after playing it for a few months, I don't like the sound of the internals and think it can be improved for not much more cash.

GrapeBass likes this.
  7. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    There are a few mods that eliminate some circuity to help with battery life but nothing specific to tone. I'd love something that would just provide a simple control, just a volume and a tone, the current setup is useless to me and way too hot.

Found this...

Stagg EUB stock preamp mod

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Elias86 likes this.
  8. AlienNed

AlienNed Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Rural Fort Worth, TX
    Thank you. This is very helpful. I think I'll attempt this mod.

GrapeBass likes this.
  9. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Please let us know what happens, more people with experience the better.

10. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    I have one side of pickup still connected to the original electronics for playing with headphones. The other pickup cable goes directly through a hole drilled to the external connector, no more connection to original electronics there. Instead I use a Zoom AC-2 preamp with reverb, EQ and tuner to go into an active speaker.
    Some modification was needed to avoid activation of internal electronics when plugging a cable into the external connector, now internal electronics only get power if a headphone is plugged in.

AlienNed and delta7fred like this.
  11. zevv

zevv

Apr 13, 2017
    Sorry if this question has been answered in this thread already, but hey, 50 pages is a *lot* to go through.

I got my Stagg yesterday and I'm pretty pleased. I have some basic experience setting up regular guitars and basses, so before residing to a luthier I want to give this a try myself. Filed the nud to widen the E string gap a bit, for the rest the nut side looks ok to me. I lowered the bridge as far down as it can go, but still I'd like to go a bit lower then this. The truss rod would be the next thing to try, but unfortunately I get no response: I turned it further clockwise and counterclockwise then I'm actually comfortable with, but still no difference in string height - I have this little foldable tool of metal strips of various thickness I usually use for this, so I'm pretty sure I'm testign and measuring the right way.

Is it a known issue with the Stagg that the trussrod is stubborn? Should I try apply a bit more force to get the thick neck to work, or is this some kind of defect?

Thanks!

12. gretschbass

gretschbass

Jan 5, 2008
    Ludwig, Can you expand a little on what you did to bypass the internal electronics? Also, would it be possible to entirely eliminate the internals and have both sides of the bridge pickup go to the external connector? Any major modifications involved? Thanks, Bill

13. I do not recommend to connect two piezos together without buffering each of them first.
    Somebody here on Talkbass has modified the electronics to grab the mixed signal as early as possible. Do a search for that.

The trussrod is unusable. But you can put down the strings in mount the neck from the body and put a shim at the lower end of the neck pocket and mount the neck back again. I did this for mine. A rather thin shim will do. The shim needs to sit under the neck on the area where the screw holes are located.

The bad thing is that the fingerboard often needs to be dressed to get the curvature that the trussrod doesn’t give you. Bad if you have a black neck. The lacquer (epoxy?) is thin and in almost every case gets removed.
    The rosewood fingerboards are easier to dress. The lacquer needs to go too, but that is almost invisible and a lot thinner.
    Anyway, it is easy to ruin a fingerboard by dressing without prior experience. For most this is a luthier job.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Elias86 likes this.
  14. zevv

zevv

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks for the confirmation DoubleMidi. I noticed the board is indeed totally flat, so I don't think I can go much lower from what it is now without going more drastic approaches. This will do for now!

15. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    When you say straight, do you mean flat? The board is curved, which allows for bowing...

16. zevv

zevv

Apr 13, 2017
    Ha, fair enough, it's _straight_ :)

17. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    I know it was a redundant question, but; had to be asked...

18. ramirez

ramirez

Jan 26, 2018
    Hi!
    I was browsing the Thomann web page the other day and noticed that they don't carry the Harley Benton branded Palatino EUBs anymore, and they have instead two new Harley Benton upright basses that look suspiciously close to the Stagg EUB, but with a different headstock and some details in the body:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/search_GK_trstkevs_BF_harley_benton.html

I found the new design of both models (specially the one with a scroll on the head) quite cool. I haven't seen them here in TB (sorry if they were posted before). Any experience with these ones?

Cheers!

Elias86 likes this.
  19. bassically_eli

bassically_eli Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Those Harley-Bentons list the fingerboard wood as birch. I'd like to hear thoughts regarding its hardness and durability, as well as its tone. I've never seen a birch fingerboard or fretboard before. Hopefully it comes with a good epoxy coating or similar, or else it'll probably need it.

20. Barry Peacock

Barry Peacock

Apr 18, 2018

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write this up. I can't believe they put metal screens around the pre-amp stages but didn't bother to ground them. Did the mod and the bass is now perfect, no unwanted noise whatsoever........until I start playing it.

GrapeBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021