1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stagg EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by derrenleepoole, Jul 2, 2007.

1. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Hello,

I'm working my way through this thread, great info!

A question for now, apologies if it was discussed already.

I have a 2nd hand Stagg EUB upcoming, but not in my hands yet.

Was wondering about those black 'swivels'/'sleeves' as shown on the first picture (from other people) to fixate the supports.

My upcoming Stagg doesn't have these (last picture), could they simply be missing, or is this a possible difference between older & newer versions of the Stagg EUB ?

To my surprise I saw store-pics where they're both present and absent on the next pic from same store, so a bit confusing if they're indeed supposed to come with the bass
    (Stagg EDB-3/4 H elektrische contrabas naturel)

... assuming these 'swivels' work properly at all.... the first pic shows a YouTube-clip where owner needed to added those red rubber washers to keep the supports better in place.

Thanks!

Stagg_huls_01-02.jpg Stagg_huls_00.jpg

2. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Just heard from the kind seller that these swivels were never present, but (after firmly pressing the supports in) are not needed either, great!

Just curious if those added black swivels are 'older version' ?

3. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I no longer have my Stagg EUB but think it was an older one.

It had the supports as in your second picture that pushed into small plastic bushings in the body, there was no knurled pieces as in your first photo. They stayed in place fine.

4. The simpler ones are the older version. I find them better. But the older ones had the weaker and taller headstock. The tuners are a bit special (the wider headstock uses Fender-type BG tuners).
    Just make sure that the Stagg never can fall into the headstock. Maybe a plate at the back can stabilize a bit more.

It is possible that they returned to the older rubber tube only mounting of the supports.

BTW, the rubber coating on the support is good for the body side but bad for the simulated rib when changing to thumb position. Don’t mount it or wrap something non-sticky around it.

5. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info all, much appreciated.

Just out of interest, I'll check more pics to see for those headstock & version differences.

So far I saw 'script' & 'block' Stagg fonts on the headstock.
    The 2nd hand Stagg I have upcoming has the 'script' logo font.

Is that the older version, and the block font the later one?

Thanks & bye
    Stagg-headstocks.jpg Stagg-headstock_block.jpg

6. Yes, you are right. The taller one with thinner cheeks and the script font is the older one.
    Just be careful with the headstock. You might want to put a layer of steel over the cheeks below the tuners and ideally a u-bent sheet that covers the open back too. Then worst case the headstock keeps intact but it may break at the neck (but hopefully easier to repair).

clintrubber likes this.
  7. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Hello & thanks for the info, interesting to know which came first.

Oops, the headstocks so vulnerable ? :unsure: (especially for the older one)

I haven't finished reading the full thread, perhaps I ran into pics of people that have reinforced the headstock
    (before.... or after damage...).

I'll definitely be ordering the Stagg stand for it.

Thanks & bye

8. If your old headstock falls on the edge of a table or stool it will break.
    I think there are a few reports about broken headstocks in the thread.
    I haven‘t done it yet, but I seldom play the Stagg(s) and have the neck secured on a stand.

9. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, at least good to know that these are not able to withstand this.

Can well imagine instruments like this are prone to falling over... needed to buy mine 'from pics', let's see which history it already has...

Bye

10. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Hi,

Question about string height... asking for the obvious I guess, but still:

coming from e-bass, the higher string height on EUB is a bit challenging.

So wondering what's actually the criterium for adjusting the height.... 'to taste'.... or just as low as you can go without having strings rattling against the 'fret'board in all positions?

No idea if mine (2nd hand) was adjusted needlessly high.

Thanks!

11. Happy Steve

Happy Steve Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Mel-burn, Ore-stralia
    re string height:
    - needs to be high enough to not rattle on the fingerboard
    - adjusted height can influence the sound a bit - lower = ''mwah'', higher perhaps more like 'old school' DB sound (?)
    - strings need to be high enough to get the right hand fingers against the side of the string to pluck it sideways (different technique to slab)

12. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the response!

Toying a bit around, especially to check for influence on sound (the 2nd point you mentioned).

Original height was bit too high, at least for me for now (experienced on e-bass, but new to e-upright), but pretty free from 'side effects'.

Found that lowering sounds good as well, and the kind of 'side noises' that start to appear then are alike those you hear on records, so OK (while keeping away from real rattles).

Your 3rd one good to keep in mind as well.

Thanks

13. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    When I got my Stagg I had never touched an upright before and soon realised (and had read on TB) that the technique was totally different to slab. I found the basic left and right hand technique Youtube videos by TB's very own @Chris Fitzgerald extremely helpful, they probably saved me from injuring myself.

14. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry, slab ? E-bass?

Thanks, great resource!! :)

15. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Yep. Upright players often refer to bass guitars as "slab" rather than E bass or BG.

I'm not trying to infer that I'm an upright only player as I played E bass for almost 50 years before picking up an upright.

16. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    Yet another thing learned, thanks.
    Could imagine why 'slab' is used, but no idea if that's the correct reason for it
    (BTW, as mostly a pick-E-bass-player it's good to see it isn't 'slap' ;-) )

delta7fred likes this.
  17. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I suspect that a lot of upright only players don't know that slap is a thing.

18. clintrubber

clintrubber

Oct 16, 2011
    SCHALLER+SC900+148.JPG Anyone tried to mount the Schaller magnetic pickup to a Stagg EUB?

I figure it won't fit without some adaptations because of the height of this pickup, so will touch the body
    (or in other words, the neck-tilt on the Stagg is lesser than on an acoustic upright for which this pickup is actually intended, so the fingerboard is closer (too close) to the body)

Last edited: May 17, 2021 at 3:49 PM
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021