1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clark plays Rickenbacker with RTF

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jkumnick, Jan 14, 2021.

1. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    This is pretty early Return To Forever. Bill Conners is on guitar and they sound great. Stanley is playing a Rickenbacker which I had not heard him do before. He solos around the 10:00 minute mark.

2. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Not just a ric, a single pickup 4000

bobyoung53, nixdad and StereoPlayer like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Horrible video editing on that, the ultra-fast camera switches leaves me nauseous...

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ...into an Acoustic 361 or 371!

And Chick is playing an ARP Pro Soloist! (or is that an Explorer?) I guess everyone's gotta start somewhere...

:)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    The Owl and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cool, I had been looking for this video on YouTube.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That video makes me think of my first quality bass. It was a Rickenbacker 4000 too. Off topic: Return to Forever were incredible musicians but those song titles sound like they were created from a combination of comic books and weed.

The Owl and kobass like this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am still waiting for that short scale Stratocatser Bass he was supposed to collaborate with Fender on designing and making available for purchase.

But at this point I kind of fear that project got flunked.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My favorite RTF is this version with Bill Connors in it.

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Gibson, Kramer(although that may just be a pose)as well.. 0D0C4749-4912-453B-A60C-E0DFBB927205.jpeg 3E630429-B9B1-49D8-A21F-17F2180A8764.jpeg

I think he may also have played a Gibson EB-3 early on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  10. Michedelic

I hear you; I always thought that DiMeola was a bit full of himself, and it seemed like all he could do was that staccato robot riffing, while Connors did some really out stuff. I went to go see them on the Romantic Warrior tour, got to the hall early, and managed to sneak in while they were doing sound check. Corea, Clarke, and White started to jam on the old perennial,“Green Dolphin Street”, but DiMeola looked lost and sat out. Now, I was no jazz nazi, in fact, at that time I was just beginning to learn about all the classic stuff, but I though that him not knowing that one, and not even trying to navigate it on the fly, was just kind of lame.

11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    More early RTF with Steve Gadd and Connors doing Spain.

The Owl, 12BitSlab and Bob_Ross like this.
  12. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    As someone with a 4000 -- I can see it -- it's got the singing quality I associate with Stanley. No neck pickup wanted!~ Put some light gauge strings on...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    they all look like they are having a lot of fun.

14. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    That killed! Thanks, OP.

15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

ClarkE

Need Gigs and StereoPlayer like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wish I had seen this video back in 1978 or 1979. Maybe it would have dramatically hastened my realization that there is nothing magic in any bass. It would have great to hear and see Stanley Clarke doing Stanley Clarke stuff on an humble Rickenbacker like mine (except mine was prettier.:D)

Off topic: this was pre-huge hat Lenny White.:D

gebass6 likes this.
  17. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I’m with you; I advanced the video to about 9 and a half minutes in to catch the bass solo...missed the whole thing cuz I was in the bathroom barfing after 30 seconds of that camera work.

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'd heard it was an EB-2, the thinline semi-hollow model. Allegedly that's the instrument he played on the one or two cuts that feature electric bass from the eponymous Return To Forever album.

Not sure about the Kramer, but I know the G-3 was pure promotional swag, stuff that Gibson gifted Stan. Same with any Ibanez models you ever see him posing with in the late-1970s/early-1980s: The manufacturers gave him free stuff and then used the photos of him holding their gear in their marketing efforts. It's unlikely he ever gigged out with those.

12BitSlab likes this.
  19. Michedelic

That’s what I suspected of the Gibby pic; it too looked a little posed. Also, that was the great era of bogus endorsement ads, the sort of thing that’s toned down a bit now that companies aren’t throwing a lot of money away like they used to.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    He also had a collection of Yamaha BB basses, though I 've never seen a photo of him actually playing one. Just know he had some back in the eighties

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021