Stanley Clark plays Rickenbacker with RTF

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jkumnick, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jaco didn’t need a Ric

2. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Yes but probably more related to their being involved in Scientology. I think Chick was into it and maybe Stanley too.

The Owl, StereoPlayer and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh yes! I should have thought of that! Clarke was an active Scientologist back in the day. I don’t know if he still is or not.

4. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    L Ron Hubbard wrote sci fi type books though so I guess it all goes together. Vulcan Worlds etc.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember reading a L. Ron Hubbard story or two Sci-Fi pulp reprints when I was a kid.

6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    After the "Musicmagic" tour, Stanley ditched Scientology altogether.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the info.

The Owl likes this.
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I saw an Austin City limits with the Headhunters in 74 or 75 and RTF was opening for them. The only reason I checked it out was Bobby Lamm the keys player from Chicago had recommended the Headhunters. Up until then the Bass players I loved were, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, and Peter Cetera. I had never heard any real Jazz except maybe in passing, but Bobby Lamm said Herbie Hancock was cool so I tuned in. Clarke was playing his Ric then, I heard it and became an instant fusion, later Jazz fiend. I had never heard any one play bass like that. I wore holes in the grooves of "Where have I known you Before".

The Owl likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021