1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stanley Clarke & EBS Microbass II Pre Amp/Pedal - Any Doublers Use It?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CaseyVancouver, Mar 22, 2017.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I just watched a video of Stanley Clarkes gear and he calls the Microbass II a must have for doublers. He uses Alembic and upright with Underwood pickup, same as me.

I understand you can connect two amps with this pedal. Anybody try that, and is there hum or ground problems? I would love to run a couple of combos at once, heh heh. Take that you loud drummers and guitarists!

I hope this pedal will work well with the Underwood pickup, I also have a bass with a Realist. (By work well I mean make sound better, obviously it works for Clarke)

Stanley on electric often twists a knob between bass solo phrases, doesn't seem to change much, maybe just a habit. I'm not really into effects and pedals and knob twiddling but ...

Is this thing a 'must have'?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I don't know about must have but now I want one

Zbysek likes this.
  3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups
    I saw Stanley do an acoustic show a couple years ago (well, he played his Alembic on School Daze for the encore), and I believe he was adjusting the midrange as needed. He definitely scooped it out for use with the bow, then put it back for fingers, and may have been turning it up a bit for solos. Whatever he was doing, it sounded phenomenal in the theater!

Zbysek likes this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    While i can't say much about this particular pedal, i can say that EBS usually makes some quality gear. I've used a couple of effects pedals by them and they were very well built and sounded great, although on the pricier side.

Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am using EBS MicroBass II for doubling (NS EUB in channel A, BG in channel B) and I love it.

I have never used it with two amps. There are two outputs ("Output" and "Link"). The Link is basically a parallel output for tuner. It could be used to sent the signal to second amp, I guess.

It's a great tool. It's not full featured two channel preamp but it can be used as one (with limited EQ on each channel).

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I looked at the EBS Microbass, when it first came out. I think the Radial Bass Bone OD, has more options at arround the
    same price. You can also use the new Headway EDB-2 as John Littler that set up this pre amp with an assignable EQ. I
    run the DB into the EQ section and just run the EB into the Volume only of the other channel. Works well.

Zbysek likes this.