1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    So what is everybody here doing to prevent music piracy?

2. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I won't rationalize it.

I download music ALOT and I don't care at all what you or anyone thinks about me doing it. I will continue to do it. The harder they make it for me to do it, the more ingenious I will get in doing it.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Funding the gubmint authorities with very generous yearly payments. :smug:

bc

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So then you freely admit that you are committing a crime and stealing just because you don't want to pay for something?

bc

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know what happens in the real world when you want something but can't afford it?

You don't get it.

What entitles you to steal music because you can't afford it?

6. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    yes. and I don't care what you or anyone thinks of me because of it.

I am sure you have never committed a crime though... never crossed when the no cross hand was up... driven 10 over the speed limit.

7. You promised you weren't going to rationalize it, but you still delivered. Thanks.

Mike

8. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    not rationalizing it at all...

just throwing it back in the self righteous peoples face.

don't throw stones at me.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So not stealing music is self-righteous? :confused:

10. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    no the attitude people have that don't steal music is.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So what you are saying is that the attitude of those people who don't commit theft towards those who do commit theft is one of moral superiority. Right....are you are surprised because??

12. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    not surprised really. but I think those that think they are moraly superior should look at themselves and the things they do in everyday life that are moraly ambiguous before they go throwing stones at others.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The trouble that you're going to run up against is that while everyone is guilty of "morally ambiguous" acts - the gray areas of right and wrong - stealing music is stealing. It's not in a gray area (grey for our overseas friends). It's theft. People would give you hard time for stealing anything that's not yours. If you're going to commit theft and get music for free, putting up with people giving you crap is going to come along with it.

I guess that proves that nothing's free, though. If you don't pay for music, expect people to give you crap! ;)

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, for arguments sake, and remembering that you are not trying to rationalise your behaviour, if lets say I did x, y, and z which were "morally ambiguous", but everyone does it. Lets say you also did x, y and z, but also stole music. Would that still not mean that me, in my hypothetical example, was morally superior than you?

15. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    So what about me? I don't go to shows or buy the t-shirts or any of the extras. I just like the music. So is it ok for me to download P2P for free? :eyebrow:

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    well I am canadian, and as far as I know our laws are a little different.

Also there are lots of things people do everyday that are not grey, but are against the law.

anyways. I am not trying to rationalise or even excuse what I do, but it would be good for people to look at themselves and the things they do before they condemn others for downloading some music.

17. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    haha...

I would say no...

PS:

I could rationalise it, but I won't. I think there are lots of reasons why its not a bad thing. but you have all heard them. My band even released our latest album for free only in a digital download format.

18. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    thass awesome.
    but if you had decided to sell it for 9.99 and you depended on that money for...y'know, food and bills, would you still not care if people downloaded it for free?

19. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    In my opinion, the proper response is not to care. There are many ways to exploit your intellectual property for profit without piracy hindering you. Gigs, merchandise, selling the rights for reproduction or derivative works, special CD versions that include physical material that cannot be digitally copied, etc.

20. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I would never base my income on an album in todays music industry. thats just stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.