Sterling question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Well I'm about to pull the trigger on making the transition from my MM ray 4h

2. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    To a USA built sterling, but I would like one last opinion.. HS or H??? (I'm getting the maple fretboard if that information changes anything)

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    If I ever get rid of my Stingray 5 H, it will only be for a Stingray 5 or Sterling 5 HP

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Flip a coin.

5. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    I'm mostly doing this for the thinner neck, and I'm also trying to get the same tone as what I have now.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Maybe an SLO Stingray would be better?

7. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    That's what a lot of people have been saying, but I can't seem to find one with a maple fretboard. What does SLO stand for?

8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Sterling 4H sounds natural. I don't like the HS's.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As an aside, the Sterling is more aggressive. It's a different bass altogether. You won't sound like you are playing a Ray; you will sound better.:D

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    San Luis Obispo. That is where stingrays and Sterlings are made. The SLO special is a Sterling neck profile on a Stingray. If you get a Sterling, I would get an HS or HH.

11. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Did they ever make an SLO with maple fretboard?

12. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
  13. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    The SLO's are just a little bit out of my price range.... So the question still remains.. HS or H?

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The humbucker on the HS is wired in parallel so you can get the same sound as the H in the same mode.You also have single coil option for the humbucker like the H. What you get with the HS is 3 other tone options. My favorite is all 3 coils (position 3),and coils 2 and 3 (positon 4). The HS is the way to go.

15. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    2008 Sterling HS 5 here. Two things, neck profile and tone.

16. HometownLetdown

HometownLetdown

Sep 14, 2011
    2005 LE Sterling H for me. I have played all three, H HH and HS and I still think the H is the best one.

17. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
  18. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    But then again... it sounds like i can get that tone out of the HS. plus more!

19. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Thats the selling point of the HS. Thats why I got the BFR HS4.

20. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Win/win. Sterling 4H has been my main gigging bass for 15 years, I bought mine when they were the hot new thing. I played an HS once, it was really cool too, but the 4H has enough tonal options as it is for me. It is a bit more aggressive than a Ray, I actually swapped my pickup out for a Nordstand 4.3 last year just to change it up, and am really digging the single coil mode these days. Both pickups are great, rounds or flats...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021