Steve Washington: Aurra and Slave

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 25, 2020.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a clip of me playing 'Are You Single' somewhere. Was pretty much a test for anyone who played funk bass back in the day. Steve Washington was the architect of the Slave/Aurra/Deja movement. A multi-instrumentalist. He's dealing with health issues these days but is still at it.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Age and health are grim equalizers.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    vdbass and DWBass like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Holding that groove is no joke!

lowdownthump, vdbass and Todd Hamby like this.
  4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    If youre saying that Washington pretty much thumped all the notes then, yeah, I agree...I still think the Hansolor was the better bassist but thats just me

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As far as I am concerned there is no competition. Mark Adams was more original and Washington was influenced by him, but Washington was thump first player who developed a style of his own. On top of that, he was a nice trumpeter too. Check out Mark Adams semi- walking line during the solo. They were a good example of what music education can produce.

lowdownthump and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mark Adams and I are were born the same year. He recorded Slide when he was 16. Had he been born in New York, instead of Dayton, he might have been Marcus Miller.

vdbass and jerry like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah but, Ohio funk has a flavor of it's own. So much great music came from there.:bassist:

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nothing but love for Funk Era Ohio, especially Southern Ohio. Come to think of it drugs could have gotten Mark Adams just as easily in the New York scene.

vdbass and jerry like this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It did. Drugs took Mark out of commission for years. He was just getting back into the music scene when he got into an altercation and was beaten. Instead of taking him to the hospital, his friends took him elsewhere where he died.

vdbass, jerry and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Yeeeup!
    Growing up in a neighborhood where just about everyone played bass and going to school with both Doug Rasheed (producer & bassist extraordinaire for 2Pac, Whitney Houston, Brandy, etc, married Chaka Khan) AND Brian Jordan (played with Dave Matthews, Fred Wesley, Bernie Worrell etc..) and only maybe one or two kids played guitar, you had to be able to play this song just to be admitted into the bandroom.

If you could play the Reddings' "Awakening" in its entirety, then you were considered good.

Of course, Doug and Brian could play both.

Needless to say, I had to play guitar on a few songs....

DWBass, Dr. Cheese and Todd Hamby like this.
  11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Listen the bassist on most of these Aurra tracks is neither Mark Addams or Steve Washington.. it’s guy by the name of Sandy Anderson

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I never thought it was Mark Adams. I have heard of Sandy Anderson many times. He has a famous Old School Slap video on YouTube. He was a buddy of TB member DWBass. He died of COVID last Spring.

13. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Dang!
    This thing is no joke. I work in the hospital and watch people get sick, sicker, and sicker then dead.
    Young, old, fitness models or cardiac patients. IT DOES NOT MATTER.
    Be careful.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not Sandy on any Aurra tracks. It's either Steve Washington or Buddy Hankerson.

T-MOST likes this.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Very sad that we lost him. He was very talented. He didn't play on any Aurra tunes as was mentioned above. He played on Inside Out by Odyssey which caused a (Mark Adams vs. Sandy debate) and he was the co-founder of the band Unlimited Touch who had several hit r&b/disco/funk tunes back in the day. They band had just reunited when Covid hit and he and his wife both caught it. He never recovered. I had not seen Sandy in many years and had plans to visit him and do an interview. Never got the chance.

Todd Hamby and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :crying: Covid has stolen so much from us. I just want folks to be safe and vaccinate so we can some sort of normal back.

DWBass and jerry like this.
  17. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I would agree. Steve sounds great... but he sounds verry much like Mark. Kudos to both!
    BTW I met Sandy at the last BASSPLAYER LIVE held in NYC around 2006/07. He told me about recording with Odyssey and how he was "asked" to play as much like Mark Adams as he could. He also played with Unlimited Touch... "I hear Music in the Streets" & "Searching to Find the One"

R.I.P Sandy

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    DWBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Correction.....he was the co-founder of Unlimited Touch. I played with several members of that band in another previous band.

19. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Not a "correction" more like an "also"

DWBass likes this.
  20. SlaveAurra1

SlaveAurra1

May 16, 2021

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021