1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still using Rosewood in 2018!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    i thought that Cites thing said no more rosewood to be used in exported guitars? Well even Fender is still using it on several models!

What gives?
    What am I missing?

2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    There are a lot of different species of Rosewood, just as there are many species of Softwood, and Hardwood.

It amounts to a tightening up of which species can be used, and proving that they are ethnically sourced.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    CITES has named ALL varieties of Rosewood, i.e. al Dalbergia. It still can be used in manufacture so long as none of it crosses international borders. So, for instance, if an instrument is made of rosewood that is currently within a certain country, the finished product can be sold in that country, but it cannot be shipped to another country without a special permit.

4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Ethnically sourced?

5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Yeah, as I understand it (perhaps incorrectly), CITES imposes certain trade restrictions, and depending on which appendix a species is listed in, those restrictions are more, or less severe.

I think Brazillian sourced Rosewood is pretty much verboten, whereas Mexican sourced Rosewood has no international restrictions.

FWIW ; we're still importing instruments with Rosewood fretboards in the UK, it doesn't seem to have all suddenly changed to Pau Ferro for example.

Nunovsky likes this.
  6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Frickin spellchecker!

I thought it was funny in 2010, when I sent someone a text saying "I'm walking the dog", without noticing the iPhone had changed it to "I'm the walking dead" - but now I'm just fed up with the number of times I type the correct word, and the phone sneakily changes it to something nonsensical.

Going to have to employ a proofreader.

That said, unless someone comes up with a way of factory farming Rosewoods, to circumvent CITES, I'm maintaining that all existing Rosewood was grown ethnically!

:thumbsup:

BlueAliceOasis, R&B, mobdirt and 7 others like this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Not true. If it is Rosewood, it doesn't matter where it was sourced, it's still restricted. But what is called "Mexican Rosewood" is not Rosewood at all. And perhaps that's what you are seeing being imported into the UK.

8. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Restricted, yes - but that doesn't mean banned (it has to have the correct provenance).

I've read the CITES documents - not saying I haven't misunderstood it - and what's protected in appendix 1 is quite different from appendix 2, where various exemptions are outlined.

It did occur to me though, and I would love to hear official word from Fender, EBMM, and Rickenbacker, if the instruments destined for the European market are using alternatives to Rosewood, or if they differ in any way from instruments for the U.S. market.

vintageguitarz likes this.
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

That whole thing is beyond stupid

10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I mean, a guy should be allowed a Red Panda pelt strap for his bass, right?

:(

younkint, El-Bob, equill and 23 others like this.
  11. Lesfunk

???

12. Lesfunk

I guess it would be ok as long as he didn't travel with it?:rollno:

El-Bob, tfer, SP_EB4L and 9 others like this.

13. What's the best endangered species pelt strap for metal?

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Peruvian snow leopard?

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If it's tropical, brown and hard it can be rosewood. It's a colloquial umbrella name that has little to do with the tree itself and covers hundreds of species.

There also is no need for importation with most European countries having territories here and there nearby the equator where rosewood can be grown. French rosewood from Reunion island is easy to obtain.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    High Camp likes this.
  16. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    I prefer baby albino rhinoceros for all my straps....and pau ferro doesn't look right to me on a Fender imho. I prefer "dark rosewood", whatever that actually is.

17. Lesfunk

Call it passe' if you wish I go for the old stand by, baby seal. Simple, elegant ...timeless

18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    is that song still legal?:D

19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    jd56hawk likes this.
  20. It’s pretty confusing to me personally. I actually had a bass that didn’t have any rosewood in it at all stopped on the way to Asia because of it. It was a Conklin gt7 and the neck was wenge and purpleheart, body was ash and maple.
    34358CDC-64D4-4337-99EF-DA4C51391339.
    eBay was kind enough to let me keep the money and refunded the buyer though. No idea where that bass ended up though.

I’ve seen several instruments like some of the newer Warwick
    Rockbasses with rosewood boards and they are coming from overseas into the states. So I’m not really understanding what going on.

Kukulkan61, 74hc and PeaveyPlayer like this.