1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stolen 1956 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Michael Ray, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    A Buyer, through Facebook post that I was going to sell, someone from Valencia, California, had me ship this bass, with Serial number 16866, to San Francisco, Fed Ex COD which meant FED Ex was supposed to receive 'good funds'. . .they simply accepted a counterfeit cashiers check from the other party. I am posting photos of the bass and of the California driver's license she presented at FED Ex.

Attached Files:

100.jpg
      File size:
      466.7 KB
      Views:
      101.jpg
      File size:
      319.1 KB
      Views:
      102.jpg
      File size:
      200.7 KB
      Views:
      103.jpg
      File size:
      243.3 KB
      Views:
      104.jpg
      File size:
      225.7 KB
      Views:
      105.jpg
      File size:
      424.5 KB
      Views:
      114.jpg
      File size:
      707.1 KB
      Views:
      115.jpg
      File size:
      259.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm not sure publicly displaying someone's ID is a great idea. Perhaps this is best left to your local authorities.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And this looks a lot like a Fender Mexico serial number.
    downloadfile.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I saw that too, that doesn't match the OP's S/N. The facebook link doesn't work on my end. Have you contacted the authorities? Does Fedex have any responsibility here? I would think it is on them to verify the funds but I have no experience with this process.

OP you should really remove the license picture though, the mods will not appreciate that.

EDIT: Those pictures are from a Mexican re-issue. Look at the neck plate on the body, those stickers weren't there in the 50s.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Mexican neck isn't the same as the tele style neck on the pic of the whole bass. So we have that, a picture that's a major violation of someone's privacy, an odd story (is COD still a thing?) all from a brand new member. I dare say something wonky is going on.

MCF, Axstar, Sixgunn and 1 other person like this.
  6. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    Sorry. . .my bad. . .I included photos of the neck of a Mexican road worn. . .I'll get them off of here. I also removed the drivers license photo

7. Shenanigans!
    Fishheadjoe

8. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016

9. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    I don't mean anything wonky. . .beginner at this and I had two basses. . .confused the photos and I think I have them right now. I removed the woman's photo id. . .I'd like to do this correctly. . .thank you

10. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Not sure I understand... basically, someone bought a rare instrument from you via the internet and paid with a fake check? Paid Fed Ex, not you?

Sounds like Fed Ex is at least partially to blame. If you sold it for any figure close to what I am thinking, you might have been smarter to go a different path for the payment. Spilled milk now. I would contact the authorities ASAP. Good luck sorting it out.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Joe Bananas and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Stolen bass threads pop up all the time, sadly. But that's when the owner doesn't know where the bass is or who took it. The thread is created in the hope that someone sees the bass somewhere. But you know where the bass is, or at least was, and who probably has or had it. There's nothing anyone here can do for you. You should contact the authorities.

Anachronism likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No worries, TB is a very tough/touchy group so please don't let the crowd scare you away.

Have you contacted the authorities? What did Fedex say about their liability? They are the ones who took the payment, correct? I am unfamiliar with the COD procedure.

13. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    I am and will do. . . .

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    FB page has....errrm....Gorn! :D

15. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    Well, I'm hoping people can just keep their eyes and ears open, maybe they're at a pawn shop or something. If I'm inappropriate here, I'll take it all down if you think that's best but are you the admin or a user or . . .?

16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    So apparently that woman was a host on BET, says so in the profile, and I Googled her. She was likely hacked.

You sent a very expensive bass without having received prior payment? That is a huge red flag. It's the same as the CL scams. They say they'll provide a cashiers check or something and it's fake. Usually they'll have an "agent" pick it up for them and leave the bogus check.

Why would you rely on FedEx to do due-diligence for the payment? Sorry, but you were scammed man.

MCF, SanDiegoHarry and Waltsdog like this.
  17. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Cool bass. Love the case.
    Hope it all works out.

18. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
  19. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    Yeah, thanks, I'm a dumb poopie. . .I thought a cashiers check would be good. . .thanks for the support

20. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016