1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stolen 1956 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Michael Ray, Nov 10, 2016.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hope it works out.

I hate a thief. Nothing wrong with them that a brain tumor and a slow painful death wouldn't fix.

Novarocker and Lownote38 like this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    There'd be an awful lot of brain tumors going on if that was the case :whistle:

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC

Novarocker and Papalampraina like this.
  4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Reading further into Fed Ex's service guide is quite an eye opener... They place maximum liability on items regardless of stated values. For a musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, or any customized or personalized musical instruments, they limit the liability to $1,000!

5. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    I tell you Paypal, though it incurs a cost of about 3%, is worth it to me. It's something that either could have been worked into the price or splitting the fee with the buyer. It's called peace of mind.

1954bassman and Dluxe like this.
  6. For a BIG ticket item like this, I would have just hopped on a plane to do a face to face with paper money. Freaking round trip tickets these days are like $200 tops anywhere in the country as long as you're not booking last minute. I flew round trip Chicago to Vegas last week for like $80 Seems like a small price to pay when compared to what I'm assuming this bass is worth, especially if both parties are willing to split the cost or something. Probably even less than a certified check fee or PayPal fee.

But anyway. Sorry to hear this happened. As everyone has mentioned, get in touch with the local authorities (both your's and their's). Create a police report, that will go a long way with any insurance or FedEx.

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. FYI: Lost & Stolen Gear

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing...

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I just want to chime in to say I know the OP and he's a good friend and a straight up guy. He's a drummer, so don't too be tough on him!

I also just looked at that lost &!stolen gear thread for the first time. Yikes.

pmcd and GrizzleTone like this.
  9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah - this is the issue right here. I would have had payment up front before shipping.

But that's me.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I too had the fake cashier's check scam pulled on me... back around 2000. Happily, I lost all of $200 and learned to never, ever take cashiers checks again.

11. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I hope things work out for you OP! Being scammed is no fun, truly sad so many people will gladly take advantage of each other for a little personal gain...

The only thing I ever shipped without being payed was a pair of shoes, some ridiculous nikes I was given. Was really stoned and bit some ridiculous scam and shipped em to Nigeria/ somewhere in africa :laugh: The seller used a US number and fed me some BS story about buying them for her son who is abroad or some poopie. I didn't care enough about the shoes to be careful so I just risked it.

Wasn't too bad but the shoes might have fetched 100-200$ and I was out like 40$ in shipping. Funniest part is the dude and the post office warned me shipping stuff to africa is often a scam :roflmao:

Like I said I didn't care enough to be cautious. Now if I am selling anything of value I always make sure to get paid first. Aside from trades but I usually just trade seeds and other cheaper things.

12. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like the COD took place at a Fedex depot. That may rule out their COD "ground" policy. You appear to have license, bad check, and possible surveillance video of the transaction at the depot. Certainly you have contacted the police, and I would be looking at possible Fedex liability also. Best of luck.

13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    So sorry to hear the news. I'm sure you feel sick over it. I'm unlikely to come across it, but I'll keep my eyes open.

14. whatever4

whatever4

Dec 12, 2012

Hey,

I saw it advertised on Craigslist in Denver:

Incredible 1956 Fender Precision Bass

Incredible 1956 Fender Precision Bass - $18000 (Denver) hide this posting
    image 6 of 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    make / manufacturer: Fender
    model name / number: Precision Bass Guitar

more ads by this user

Incredible original 1956 Fender Precision Bass Guitar with mojo drenched tweed case. See photos. It's been set up to play and I have all original stuff including homebrewed bridge cover with foam rubber damper!
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
    post id: 5854592467

posted: 10 days ago

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

Hope you get it back,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Well that's interesting. That was posted 10 days ago. Hmm.

16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Nothing clever about this, you sent this without getting paid. Wow, I hate PayPal but wth were you thinking? Anything over $1000 should be secure funds or here's a thought DONT BE SO NAIVE!
    Wow. A real 56 is upfront money period. If you got ripped off, that's on you.

17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's OP's ad for selling the bass initially.

Well, either that or an amazing coincidence. There's a drummer named Michael Ray in Denver on Reverb Nation.

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's the OP. Drummer Michael Ray from Denver. He probably had it listed multiple places.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  19. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Dude, just stop.

20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Captain Hindsite strikes again!
    :eyebrow:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016