1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stolen 1956 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Michael Ray, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Was a secured or unsecured payment type indicated?

1Secured = Money order, cashier's check or official check.
    Unsecured = Personal check, money order, cashier's check, company check, official check or certified check.

2. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    Secured. . .cashiers check

3. suededoesit

suededoesit

Jan 28, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    This whole thing just sounds sketchy. It stinks. It stinks like yesterday's fishsticks. I just find it hard to believe there is a person who could be so naive to sell and ship a vintage bass of such magnitude COD. WHHHHHHYYYYYYY would you do that? If this is a real scenario and it did happen, there's a healthy amount of responsibility (if not nearly all) that falls on the OP's shoulders. That's nearly inexcusable. And to say that's it's somewhat justifiable because Fed Ex offers COD as a service is weak sauce I tell ya, weak. Fed Ex delivery persons aren't counterfeit experts. Dude most likely got something that looked like a check and his work was done, in his mind. What? Fed Ex should've verified funds? Ran a credit check? Took a DNA sample? Fed Ex did their due diligence and that was getting the check. It unfortunate, perhaps this is a lesson learned. Please, don't do that again. It's not wise. It's foolish in fact. (SMH)

petrus61, Sixgunn and GroovinOnFunk like this.
  4. OK...

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Sorry I agree....would not ship any bass...much less a '56 Fender without full payment....

6. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

I'll keep my eyes open on CL. Some of the pawn shops post to CL so there's a chance of finding it.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  7. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I would think so too, unfortunately criminals are getting more clever (cleverer?) every day. Probably forged or fake. Did you contact FedEx? Do they offer any protection?

I'm sorry if I came across crass, I hope it works out! That's a beautiful bass and TB members will notice if it shows up somewhere.

8. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Well...the facebook page has been removed. Probably the address you sent it to is not the perpetrator's house. You and/or Fed Ex have been ripped off my friend. Good luck finding the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  9. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Neither would a lot of us but if you read the service fedex offers it seems to be a legit way of handling it.
    On the other hand a google search of "fedex cod loss of payment" brings up some concerning information.

Sorry OP. Hopefully you can get this worked out.

10. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    I feel sufficiently reprimanded here so thanks. I thought I was being sufficiently diligent, using this service, requiring a cashiers check, etc. My bad. Hope I can get it worked out, too. Thanks for the support.

suededoesit likes this.
  11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    To the OP...sorry man...really.

This does Suck...maybe you can go back at Fedex....did you insure it? If so, you may have a claim....

12. Dale Griffith

Dale Griffith Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2016
    In spite of taking some flack it was a good idea to post here. It might cut off one major way the thief might profit from selling it.

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know if insurance coverage can be applied here (edit: Fed Ex does not even sell insurance, there policy states that a third party insurer would have to be used if desired) but Fed-Ex's policy clearly leaves them not responsible for forged payments.

Here is the reference from their Service Guide:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  14. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    bummer

15. Michael Ray

Michael Ray

Nov 10, 2016
    And, thanks

16. GrizzleTone

GrizzleTone Dig it.

Oct 11, 2013
    Kansas
    OP, sorry you're being flogged over this. No one asks to have a crime perpetrated against them, and when it happens, no one asks (or should expect) to be punished for being a victim. Call the authorities (local or state, and federal especially if you live outside of California), call your insurance company, call your lawyer.

17. BassManKK

BassManKK Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2016
    This sucks big time. OP did not practice safe internet commerce practices. FedEx is not liable for the payment, see their Service Guide, however this should be covered by the insurance. Hopefully OP insured this for full value. I would also contact your insurance broker for your home owner/renter's insurance and get them looped in. Also contact the local authorities in Valencia ASAP. This is big ticket theft, and FWIW this is now a federal crime as it involved passing bad checks across state lines.

Good luck OP

StayLow likes this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You did right posting it here. There is a good chance a buyer in today's day and age would google a big ticket item such as this. If they ever search your serial number they will find this posting.

petrus61 and Double E like this.
  19. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing...

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Oh Mike - sorry to hear about this my man - keep your chin up.

20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ouch, sorry to hear this. Hope it works out otherwise an expensive lesson.