Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stolen Neuser - Conclusion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BTBbassist, Mar 18, 2006.

1. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I know many of you read my post in the Lost and Found regarding my stolen Neuser Courage 5.

Due a very alert TB member, the bass was found last week being sold on eBay, 10 minutes from the airport at which it was stolen. This came after more than 3 months of empty searching.

A very long story short, the sellers are in custody, and the bass is hopefully being shipped back to me. At this point though, the bass is almost secondary - justice is very fulfilling.

I deleted the post in Lost and Found right after the situation reheated for security reasons, and I just wanted to let everyone know how the situation is progressing. Withing TB, this wouldn't have happened, so I definately owe a thankyou to everyone who kept their eyes open, and of course Paul and sponsors who keep this forum running.

I'll post the drawn out story (it really is long) when / if I get the bass back, and when I get the full story.

Once again, THANKYOU TalkBass! :)

KF

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Awesome! It is always nice to see someone get their stuff (hopefully) back and justice served. Hope things workout and keep us posted!

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    congrats...............must have been so satisfying to see the guys get arrested.

Were you there to see it or just notified by the police?

4. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Was it the 5-string Courage with the missing knob that ended a couple days ago? Man, that thing is beautiful, and I came close to bidding on it!

Congrats! Neusers are the bomb!

5. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA

That was the one, yea. I'm in CA right now - the theft was in Chicago, so I didn't get to see anything.

Attached Files:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tb to the rescue.

7. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Update - Bass has been found under a pile of lies. Two in custody. Case Closed.

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Justice is done.

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Good to know. I love this place. :hyper:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome, and that's what I love about the brotherhood of Talkbass!

11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Good for you :)

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  13. Ah.. I love the feeling of satisfaction when justice prevails.

Would love to hear the story behind this one if you have time to post it.

14. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    That just made my day, a truly epic tale of justice.

15. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Okay here's the story from the beginning:

Flying home for spring break from Chicago, checked in bass using a SKB BassSafe - many of you guys have used them, basically just a roto type plastic mold around a gigbag with locks.

Got to LA, of course, no bass. Apparently it never got on the plane. In a few hours, they track down the bass and deliver the case to my home the next afternoon. Guess what- no bass inside. All the locks / ID's hacked off leaving the empty plastic shell.

I file a claim with United, within a few months (mostly spent on the phone) the claim is filled, money in pocket. At this point I'm bummed, but the compensation was generous so it eases the loss.

Fast forward 3 months, a TB user sees the auction on ebay, and proceeds to do a search for Neuser infomation in our forums. She happens upon my thread in Lost and Found, and contacts me...

I contact the Chicago PD, and United security with my findings. PD blows me off, as I was expecting. After about 10 transfers within United, I am connected with a investigator from the corporate security division. With only a few hours before the auction closes, we were kinda pressed for time. I again tried to call Chicago PD to file a claim, again given the run around and treated like I was the criminal.

So I won the auction fair and square with a completely fabricated identity - ebay ID, email address, address, you name it. (my real name and address was all over the case and tags)

I get this loser's full name, address, and phone number through my communication. My guy at United runs the info with employees at O'Hare... no hits apparently.

Next morning: (this is finals week for engineering students, by the way :help:) Apparently they ran the name in a different database and this time it came up positive. Now police are interested, and the fog of bureaucracy suddenly clears...

I get a call from the Chicago PD requesting that they come to see me to discuss the case. Within 20 minutes, 3 investigators are at my dorm and I end up signing formal felony complaints.

When a positive match was made, apparently police raided the given address. No bass. The seller had the money order I sent, but no bass. She said she shipped it already. Right.

Within a few hours, the police got the location of the bass (her boyfriend's, of course), and seize the bass. The boyfriend (who is the actual employee) is taken into custody where I believe he remains.

As of this time, the bass is waiting at the Chicago PD for me to pick it up. The head of operations for United at O'Hare is planning to come drop it off to my dorm with his cronies. Probably take some pictures, make them look like the heroes of the situation ... :rolleyes:

So that's where the situation stands. Chicago PD and United Airlines deserve some major recognition as they were extremely professional and devoted to this issue. And no, they don't want their insurance money back. ;)

Of course, any updates will be posted, as well as some "after" photos - if shes ready to be photographed of course, these things are very traumatic you know.

16. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    That's quite a story ... a feelgood story (hang on to the script rights ... there might be a TV show in it) ... justice is served. Congratulations! I'll be looking for your updates.

It sounds too like you did a lot of the legwork for United, and especially the Shytown PD

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't find the words (imagine that) to express how much I love this story. Way to go!

18. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    haha... thanks?

and yes, I did do most of the work for the case, but that's life right? I was happy to do it of course...

19. Man, it pisses me off to hear that you were initially given the runaround. Damn bureaucracy and the other BS that comes with it.

Glad to know you got your bass back AND could keep the insurance money. You deserve the insurance money after all the stress and hassle anyway.

GREAT move winning the auction with the fake ID, brilliant!

Did they have to find evidence of previous charges against the alleged thief before they could investigate the case?? What if this was a first-time offender and he had no prior convictions? Would you have gotten your bass back?

20. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Did you get the money order back from the girl, or is that evidence that will eventually get returned to you?