Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i saw the front panel, pretty funny lol.

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    thank god we got the thread # sorted out. didn't want another time loop.

3. Always looking for advancement. I have been with this company for almost three years. I had a great review and decent bonus. I am disappointed in the yearly "raise" I got as it was so minimal it doesnt matter. This interview kind of fell in my lap. So I will see what they have to say and offer.

4. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    It's all in flux right now. Originally it was going to be a full plexi face plate, ORMAT kinda thing. We're hashing out a different idea right now. It's stilled called Mr. Grumpy though.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Singing isn't actually that hard, though. I just don't get how it's so common that a bunch of musicians will think that somehow none of them are even capable of singing. I can understand not liking the tone of one's own voice, but not being able to sing? That's strange to me.

MatronMother and Reindeer93 like this.
  6. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Video interview. So not local?

7. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    or two parallel threads like that schism way back when.

8. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    For me it's singing and playing at the same time that's the issue. I have to strip the playing down on the songs I sing lead, then I can ramp it up a bit when my guitarist is singing.

9. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    The first 2 gain stages are right out of my DA120 but without the Depth control then its the active mid range control from Ron's Ampeg channel preamp but with more guitar centered mid ranges then into the Master and the LTPI. Class AB2 coupling for the 6 KT88s. DR405 style.

10. Closest thing I got to singing and playing at the same time is when Micah is doing the pedal assistant thing and I am trying to keep a riff going and want him to try a different one and it feels like brain rape. I guess I should try and sing it to the riff, Micah turn on the blue one, now add in the phas---er dun dun dun

40YearOldBassVirgin likes this.
  11. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    ^ Yeah, what he said.

12. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Ditto, I figured the bass vi would let me play whatever part was easiest to sing to.

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I like it quite a bit more than previous stuff I've heard by them. Pretty cool.

Interesting. Bax tone stack?

Yeah, sorry about that. :atoz:

This is true. I tend to write simpler bass lines in 5th Child stuff where I know I'm going to be singing. Or simple vocal lines.

Very nice.

I had wanted to ask you about how Sound City amps were set up. Were they all FMV EQ, or did they have different ones depending on model? Are they as clean as Hiwatts or do they get grittier sooner?

14. Rushing

Rushing

Dec 18, 2011
    Minnesota
    I wish I could sing and play at the same time. I can't even play and talk.

bopeuph and splattermaster like this.
  15. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I can yell and play, lol

16. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i have no problem singing and playing as long as there isnt a lot of ghost note kinda stuff or odd rhythms i have to play. then i **** myself up lol

17. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I guess given the choice, I'd prefer a more complex vocal line over a simpler bass line than a simple vocal line over a complex bass line. People in the audience tend to pick up on the former more, IMO.

18. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yell 1st, play 2nd.

19. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I can sing and play no problem, always been able to. I can do screamy vocals or clean singing too, I sang Sinatra for my wife at our wedding reception. Vocals are actually the first thing I ever did in a band and the thing that's easiest for me. I haven't sang in a band in years though, because I have zero ideas for lyrics anymore. That's why I haven't finished the demo tracks I recorded end of last year.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021