Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

By simple I mean more "long held notes" and stuff.

2. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Yeah that's about where I am. Been practicing hard on that the past six months. I'll work up to singing soon.

blkpwdr likes this.
  3. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    That had to have taken some stones. I've been singing in bands for years and I'd never have sung a note at my own wedding. :ninja:

4. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always thought that I could never sing and play at the same time, but once I started putting together this project and we couldnt find a singer, and my guitarist and I at first thought we could learn to sing just well enough to put songs together and attract a vocalist.. but now we're having alot of fun with it and working to improve our vocal abilities. Really awesome to feel like the 3 of us own the entire band. And we sing/write like instrumentalists, not like vocalists... the lyrics are largely nonsensical and follow common themes of booze drugs and whores, we both think our own singing voice is terrible but we think the other is pretty good (so I'm hoping together we're at least OK) and like others said, we have to simplify our playing when we're singing... so since we BOTH sing equally, its making the songs really dynamic in that when I'm singing, its a fairly simple driving bassline and complex guitars, when he's singing its a simple chord riff and complex bassline. Alot of weird little things we never expected but are proving to be more fun than we'd thought.

F*ck I cant wait to gig this band out. Looking forwards to May

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    But if you nail that. You always got that in the deck when you want something.

6. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Good point; high risk-high reward gambit.

7. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    yea Bax/james EQ.

For the Sound Cities, the EQs are kind of different for different amps. The SC120R is a very odd combination where they seperate the signal into passive filters then give a gain stage to each passive filter and recombine all 3 signals. Its not really active in the technical sense but its not a generic passive FMV. For the Bass 150 its a passive BMT but its not FMV.

8. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I had a tape of me singing that song (Fly Me To The Moon) at our reception, but I haven't watched it in yeeeeears. I used to do karaoke all the time at a place where I waited tables, around the time I met my wife. She claims that's one of the reasons she was into me, that I could sing. That used to be my main thing in bands FOREVER, but once I lost interest in writing lyrics I just didn't care at all anymore. I never liked clean singing in bands anyway, I always sang really gruff or straight up screamed. It was easier when I smoked and drank all the time. The more thrashed my voice got on tour, the easier it was to sing lol.

I'll tell you one thing though. Learn to play and sing syncopated to each other. The song doesn't even have to be hard, it sounds more dynamic and people suddenly think you're a genius. My last punk band I did it all the time, just because it was more interesting. I used to get compliments all the time from singers and bassists in other bands for being "really good" and our songs were never complicated or hard.

I used to do impressions and voices all the time as a kid and singing started as just doing impressions of singers, I don't feel like I have a unique voice. Doing vocals in a cover band would probably be super easy, but I have zero interest and I'm not a "lead singer" kind of personality.

9. Pelham Bleu

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Ha, I've used that trick and you're right! :D It's when vox/bassline don't match up easily that I get brain lockout.

10. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Was about to go for a four mile walk and the hail came down. If it wasn't so rainy I'd still go out and get pelted but oh well.

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Playing and talking is way harder, for me. I basically can't do it.

12. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    In 1983 when this roadstar came out what was Ibanez like? What was this like a squier equivalent?

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

That sounds really cool, separating it into three gain stages. Like giving each frequency its own preamp, almost.

What's BMT?

14. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Bass mids treble? it's also subway sandwich

15. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd say it was more of a direct competitor to the high quality MIJ Squire
    series.

16. That's not hail that's underwear gun neighbor shooting rock salt at you!!!

17. what is special/unique about the Traynor PI?

18. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Hide yo kids!

Just dropped $106 on flat wounds. Chromes 5er set for the ibanez, and labella .95 deep talkin' flats for the bass vi $68!!

Time to sell the EB-0 and the beloved bronco. Trade my p bass body or just sell it as well depending on how the ibanez compares. I'm thinking rondo pedal board any objections? They seem stable and cheap.

19. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    We were just going over how that component affects the sound of the amp when the power section is cranked. Based on the kind of tone I wanted when at high volume (and that I really like my YBA-1 cranked, but it doesn't have the clean headroom I want sometimes), he figured that was the best fit. I'm sure Nick will get into all the super tone science for you.

I think the main thing was sag or lack thereof. I don't much like the squishy thing that some of the more popular big tube bass amps do cranked.

20. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Anyone here own an American fender say post 1990? Don't hear much talk of them it seems.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021