1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner rock / metal fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JesseVMT, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I'm really getting into though genre lately (even though I'm 8 years sober) and I'm not sure what to get. I'm thinking a Darkglass DUALITY, because... well Darkglass. I want something aggressive, thick, yet still clear enough to have note definition.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking about selling a couple pedals to fund this purchase. (Aguilar TLC and possibly my Vintage Microtubes.) I love my VMT, it's just my ear is really turning to fuzz since getting into P basses.

gregmon79 and Ellery like this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    My preference for the genre is a Green Tall Font Russian clone, like the Wren & Cuff TFR. The Abominable Hail Satan was high on my list (no pun intended).

torza, Bloodhammer, ShaneF and 2 others like this.
  3. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    Im looking into the Shift Line Termofuzz for that kind of stuff and have pretty much decided on it but I havent bought it yet. What I particulary like about it is the crazier sounds you can get out of it (you can get regular fuzz too)

Bloodhammer likes this.
  4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Tafm for note definition

Crazy Otto likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    TAFM or get on the newly re-opened waiting list for the newly updated FEA Photon fuzz!

6. look no further

CsCdoJ8V.

7. axelrod

axelrod Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2013
    ohio
    build it,baby, get just what You want...

8. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Either a Big Muff (or one of the many clones, especially a Black Russian/Sovtek) or a Rat

9. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    Have a look at the Fuzzrocious Heliotropic, such a thick heavy fuzz!

Andy

10. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I have no idea how to build a pedal

11. axelrod

axelrod Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2013
    ohio
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    cheap route - druid fuzz
    boutique - custom rat tail with clean blend and feedback loop

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    '71 Supercollider and or the Pale Mare.

gregmon79 and Bloodhammer like this.
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

To me that genre screams "muff".

gregmon79, Bloodhammer and Helix like this.
  15. The Duality sucks for that kind of thing IMO. I'd look at a muff or Megalith.

monsterthompson likes this.
  16. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    If you want a Muff style fuzz that works great for this genre and is really flexible, try the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B. It's one of the few modded Muffs I've played on which both the gain and tone knob are useful all the way around the sweep and it has a built in blend, which quite honestly I don't even think is necessary for a good tone. It doesn't have a separate mid knob, but it's not extremely mid scooped and I've never needed one.

Here's a clip I made of one with a P bass (tuned to B) into a GK MB800 into a Faital loaded Dually 2x15.

If you want something more on the thick overdrive/distortion side, I highly recommend a Joyo Ultimate Drive. They're cheap, easy to get and sound great for really heavy, dark tones.

Here's a clip of that, with the same setup, except into a ported Eminence Basslite loaded 1x10.

Here's a clip with my current go to BEAD bass (Carvin PB4) into the same rig, with a variety of pedals, including the two already mentioned and a couple boutique distortion and fuzz boxes.

There are a lot of great boutique fuzz, overdrive and distortion pedals that sound great for this style, depending on what kind of tone you're going for, the overall band mix and your budget. These are just two easy to find pedals I've had a lot of experience with. I don't currently own the Pickle Pie B anymore, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. My bass tone on the Warp Rig demo that's linked below is about half that pedal. I was using a dual rig setup with that on one and a Dunwich Wizard Fuzz on the other. I currently use a custom Dunwich Cthulhu Fuzz Deluxe when I want a good fuzz for downtuned stoner/doom type tones, but like I said there's a lot of good stuff out there and definitely more than one way to get a good tone for these styles.

Also, I don't drink or smoke anything either, you can still like any kind of music despite whatever people want to call it. Lots of "stoner rock" and "stoner metal" style bands that don't really have anything to do with being a stoner.

EDIT:

Not as high quality of a recording, but in case you're curious about the tones with a loud tube amp instead of solid state, here's a clip that has the Joyo and the Dunwich CFD, along with a Boss ODB-3 (good reference point for known tone, I think) into my custom 300W tube head and an Ampeg 810e.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  17. ShaneF

ShaneF

Oct 15, 2015
    York, PA
    Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian is exactly what you are looking for. I used to use it with a P bass through an SVT + 810.... talk about doom.

torza and JesseVMT like this.
  18. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    They (W&C TFR) can be ordered with a clean blend. Some say the circuit sounds a little different but not radically. I got one that way. I end up not using the clean blend much, but I also don't truly DOOM much either.

JesseVMT and ShaneF like this.
  19. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Some excellent help so far guys. Thanks!

What if I used say a B3K into (or coming from) my Cliff Burton fuzz wah? Would adding the two give me a biting fuzz tone?

20. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for all that info!