1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Question for Lakland 55-02 Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pan1k, Apr 2, 2015.

1. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    So I recently became the owner of my first Lakland. New to 5 string, new to Lakland. LOVE IT! I bought some new D'Addario strings. I Snapped the E string (TWICE), and the B string isn't sitting right. It feels like there is too much tention. How do I resolve this? Also suggested strings?

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    2 broken strings? I'd check the saddles. Might be a burr or something. Maybe bad strings? That seems unlikely. I've had a 55-94 for 18 years and never broken a string. I use DR Sun Beams .45-.130.

3. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, totally weird at second glace I feel like I need to check the strings to make sure theyre Extra Long. IDK. My first instinct is user error not bass error lol.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I usually used Lakland steels on my 55-01s and 55-02. Are you stringing through the bridge, or through the body? What string guages are you using, and how are you tuning the bass?

I never had a problem with the Lakland strings, which are tapered, but through-body stringing may be giving you too big of a break angle over the saddle for the D'Addarios you're using, or you may not be tuning the bass correctly if the string feels too tight and you're new to 5-strings.

MattyH likes this.
  5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I like the Lakland nickles on mine. Definitely double check your E string saddle for a burr. Odd that you've snapped the same string twice. Not sure what you mean about the B string. Any pics of it not sitting properly?

MattyH likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR's fit the 55-02 through body perfectly. I loved the Dragon Skins and Sunbeams on mine.

7. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm stringing through the body. standard BEADG tuning. When I get home I will add pictures. Might try some DR Sttings. I'm in a pinch because I have a gig tomorrow and wanted to use this beast.

8. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    could burr(ing) be an issue on a brand new bass?

9. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    It could have that issue, or possibly even on the string thru hole. Is it breaking or unwinding at the saddle or lower towards the body? Either way don't let it disappoint you. Laklands are my absolute favorite, and the customer service is top notch.

I second the Lakland Nickels. Holy hell I love these strings. Took about 3 days to get to me here on Long Island from Chicago. In your case, maybe grab a set of DRs so you can take it out on your gig. They're a little expensive but 1 - they'll deffinitly fit, and 2 - they'll sound great.

When youre re stringing, maybe try going top instead of through the body. Rule out the bridge/body problem and see if it's just the DAddarios. Thru body on the Laklands is just bliss, but try it thru the bridge and see if you get the breaking problem again.

Now the tension on the B. is this your first 5? If so you may just need to get used to it. If it's not, the 35 scale might be throwing you off. The B is a lot tighter, but trust me, it's for the best. The Lakland B is second to none. Tight, clean, smooth, focused. Or maybe you cut it a tad short and it's stretching more than it should. All things to consider. But good luck, keep us informed, and post pics!

10. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    The strings are breaking at the Tuners, not the saddles.

The strings break at the tunners not at the saddle.

11. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Oh wow ok I never had that happen.

12. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV

yeah totally bizarre

13. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How many winds are you putting on tuning peg?

14. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    two maybe three winds

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    When I played Laklands I always used DR strings. or Lakeland strings.

Strings breaking at the the tuners is most likely operator error

16. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV

I'm starting to agree with ya! it looks like I'll have to try some DR Strings

17. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    With the tapered tuners that Lakland uses, you don't need that many winds. If you're used to playing Fenders that don't have tapered tuning pegs, Fenders require you to wrap several times. This provides the proper down force on the tuner to create the proper break angle over the nut. With the Laklands, you only need about 1 1/2 winds max. The tuner provides the proper down force across the nut.

By adding more wraps, you're not really gaining anything and are running the risk of creating a twist in the string. This would be my guess as to why they're breaking at the point that they are. If you hand wrap the string around the peg (before you start tuning it), there might be a slight twist in the string. Also, you might look for a burr on the tuning peg. It's unlikely on a new bass, but it is possible.

If you can't figure it out, drop Leo Lopez a line at Lakland. He's awesome and should be able to help get it straightened out.

MattyH likes this.
  18. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV

Thank you so much. My first guess is that I have too many wraps. If that doesnt work I'll try stringing through the bridge

19. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Going through the bridge won't do anything for what is happening at the tuner/nut.
    Which scale length are you using? D'Addario's come in a few different lengths. My understanding is that the 55-02 is a 35" scale, so may may need to use the Super Long scale to get the fat part of the string past the nut.
    Are you using the hole in the tuning peg to place the end or letting it stick out of the slot?
    Are you putting a right angel into the string before trimming it and then trimming just after bend?
    What do you mean the B doesn't sit right?
    I have only ever broken a bass string twice. One was a the G on a set of light gauge EB Super Slinky strings that I was doing some slap on and it snapped at the ball when I plucked the G. The other was a set of Circle K strings where the core of the B sheared off after I took them off an put them back on again.
    You would either need to be pinching them at a very hard angel or tuning them too tight for the gauge.

20. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Most of the new Laklands that I've ever seen, including my own, came from the factory with 2 to 2 1/2 windings. I can't imagine that having an extra 1/2 to full winding could have anything to do with a string breaking.