1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Vibrations and "Echo"

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kjazz1958, Apr 15, 2006.

1. kjazz1958

kjazz1958

Mar 22, 2004
    I have an old German carved flatback, that just had the top off to tighten braces up and fix a top crack. I changed the strings from 5+ year old Spirocores, and now I am getting an "echo chamber" effect, especially higher up on the neck (this is Pizz. playing only). After changing strings several times in various combinations, moving the bridge around, I finally discovered that the "echo/reverb" effect is caused by sympathetic vibration of the strings NOT being played. I can dampen the three other strings while playing the "G" string, and the problem goes away. It also goes away when I put back on the old old strings... but my bass sounds much better with the new strings.

So my question is: what can I do to get rid of this? Keep playing in the new strings (Helicores) and hope they get less "lively"? Could it possibly be my tailpiece wire (airline cable type) length, or position of the tail?

I think the repairs have made my bass more resonant, but it is annoying to have "spillover" in my sound (it can sound like I am playing in a cave!):meh:

Ideas? I also need a good luthier in Denver area, not an easy find...

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think that you're used to dead-ass strings and have to learn to mute things while you're playing -- especially through an amp with a compress-y pickup like an Underwood.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You might try wrapping a piece of velcro strip around the afterlengths of the strings (between the bridge and tailpiece). Steve Azola does this on his basses, and I found it really helps on my acoustic uprights...especially when recording.

4. kjazz1958

kjazz1958

Mar 22, 2004
    Thanks for the velcro idea; I'll try that.

5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    does it happen on just one pitch....or more? When I first read your post, I thought you might have had a wolf tone.