Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings cut too short?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, May 29, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    when i got a neck adjustment recently on my p bass, the guy told me that i cut my strings too short. how short are you supposed to cut them? does it really mess with the tension? thanks..

xo tom

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How long do you have them?

I usually measure a hand's width longer than the tuner/machine head and cut. Two or three windings are enough IME.

It doesn't affect tension, tuning stability maybe.

3. I like 3-6 windings so the whole peg is covered. But I only do it for looks 8).

4. There is a lot more to the practice of putting several windings on a post. The main reason is that as the string winds around the post, it pushes the subsequent coils down towards the headstock. This increases the angle the string breaks over the nut and it keeps the neck from getting that "rattle" sound from an improperly bedded string.

5. I agree with this. I would say at least 3 wraps, wrapped downward is the way to go, but I wonder about something. Many modern basses have the angled-back headstock. If you look closely at this design, it would not appear to matter if the strings were wound top-down, or bottom-up. Alot of players argue this point.
    There's still a large angle forcing downward pressure on the nut, no matter how the string is wrapped. But I still prefer the top-down arrangement. Besides keeping better tension on the nut, this also keeps the string-pull-tension at the stronger (lower)area of the tuning peg, instead of the high pull at the end which puts a big load on modern-smaller machine heads.

I don't think a cut-too-short string messes with tension, but could cause tuning problems if the string actually slipped on the peg.

Mag...

6. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks for all the replies people! so then a shorter cut string will result in higher action right? if i have them longer then it gives the string room to point downward toward the headstock.. which will make the action lower?

xo tom

7. NO, NO, NO :rollno:

The number of windings around a post has NOTHING to do with string height or "action". Everything we've discussed affects the string before it gets to the nut. Nothing is affected after the nut. I can't stress this enough - where you got the idea, I have no clue.

Angled headstocks accomplish the task of the proper break angle by their 11º angle. You are correct that windings won't have to push the string to the bottom of the post to work properly.

The "rattle" I was referring to happens sometimes when there isn't enough downforce on the nut. Given a properly cut nut, either the angled headstock or multiple windings take care this condition.

8. FeedBack

FeedBack

May 12, 2004
    i juss wind it alot because i hear it gives more sustain...