Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for L-2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Herman, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of strings for a G&L L-2000? I'd like to tame the natural high end of the bass a little bit and get a thicker, warmer overall sound.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Have you tried flatwounds?

3. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    No, I haven't changed them since I bought the bass about a year ago. Have you tried flatwounds with an L-2000? What brand?

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I used to own a L-2500 and own a Climax today.

I like DA XL-170s (45-100) after they have lost their initial brightness on a G&L. The 165s (45-105) are boomier if that's what you're after. I find the 45-100 a little more balanced.

I usually play active / parallel / both pups.

TI flats are an interesting match for the G&L as well. If you want a truly mellow sound without any pop on the D and G, they are a nice match for the G&L as well.

Dave

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the input. I'e been playing with the knobs/switches a lot lately and like the same settings you mentioned (active/parallel/both pups) for the best all-around tone but still find the D and G are a little too sizzly with the stock strings. I didn't want to take all the pop from them, just take some of the edge off. I think I'll try the DA XL-170s first then go to flats if they don't do the trick. Thanks again.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The DA XLs have some pop to them. Don't remember how they compare to the stock SITs. Many on the G&L forum do not like the stock SITs because they are too bright.

Dave

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I currently have SIT Silencers on my L2K - they are a "compression wound" string from SIT. Very much like rounds but with a bit of the edge taken off. Not quite as zingy but still with some roundwound bite. I really like the feel as well - just a touch smoother than rounds but not completely flat.

A second step towards flat would be SIT Power Flats - groundwounds (roundwounds with the outer edges ground down until the strings are flat). I have those on my SB-2. They are closer to flats but still have a bit of round sound. They feel completely like flats. They really warm up the D & G strings and make them sing (much like flats) but to my ear lose some definition on the E & A vs rounds. I haven't tried them on my L2K yet.

My favorite rounds I've tried on an L2K are TI Powerbass. TI Jazz Flats are a very organic sounding flatwound that I've had on SB-2s -- a great sound but I couldn't get a decent slap/pop sound out of them. Plenty of folks swear by them but I wish they had a little bit more tension.

I haven't tried any yet but coated strings seem interesting for taking the zing off of rounds as well.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I haven't tried flats on my L2000. The zing is one of the things I like about it.

9. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    sadowsky flats, they will tame the high end, buit still be bright enough and have the right tension to slap with.

10. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I might try the SIT Silencers as a first step to taking some of the edge off and then move on to some of the other suggestions if they don't do the trick. Thanks again.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I *just* got an L2500, so I can't offer a long experience, but it came with some TI super alloy roundwounds and they have a great feel and a nice mellow tone. Might be worth a try.

12. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Rolling the treble control a good bit down really helps too. I use elixirs on mine, I find they complement it well.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    DR Lowriders