1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for MIM Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Runnerman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Hey guys. I just picked up a near mint MIM Fender Jazz passive 5 string. It's from 1999 and seriously, I cannot find a flaw on it. It's obviously had little play and the strings are old and dead.....and might even be the original strings for all I know. They have that spotty corrosion on them. Anyways, this is my first Jazz single coil bass and I'm looking for some recommendations on strings. I could put the factory spec'd strings on but I thought there might be some good suggestions on here. I play classic rock/80's metal. Thanks in advance.

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and recommendation!

I ended up going with Ernie Ball Slinky's.
    They seem to do the job well so far, I seem to be able to get that low end grunt and round tone that I was looking for. I'm pretty amazed at the playability of this bass. I just did a minor setup...string height only and neck seems good. I'll do a more thorough set up when I have the time.

I'm almost positive that the strings were original and almost 15 years old, they were very stretched out between the nut and tuning pegs and deader than I've ever heard before.