Struggling Scorpion Speaker—Help, Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    665C159F-E121-470A-883A-2C1DB4E99CE8.jpeg
    Ah, if only it sounded as good as it looks.

Well, it does, about half the time; but more and more often, the upper speaker (Peavey 115 BX w/Scorpion) loses a lot of volume and distorts (in a bad way). When the top speaker has trouble, the bottom speaker sounds just like it usually does (though a bit different, as it has a Black Widow in it and another inch or two of cabinet front-to-back). I will try swapping speaker cables, but it happens with different instruments. Volume, EQ, and pedals all set reasonably; most instruments do have hot pickups, but nothing insane.

This seems like something I should have been able to find in the forum, but here we are. Please let me know:

• the most likely cause of the issue
    • what a repair would entail
    • whether it would be worth the time and money to repair rather than replace (I do like the cab, but it wouldn’t break my heart to replace it with something similar)

2. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Thank you for any help here!

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Are you sure you aren't running out of power and clipping or limiting the heck out of the power amp in your combo? Is the DDT limiter engaged?

Are the eq sliders really pushed all the way up, or is it just the picture?

DWBass likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Id say check cables like you mentioned.
    Check wired connection to speaker jack and actual speaker connections. Also small silver wires from cone to terminal.

I've had weird things fall into speaker ports and get attached to the magnet.
    See if wires or lining is hanging and can vibrate on the cone.

With black widows , little foam on the vented magnets can degrade and get sucked into the speaker coil. You remove the basket and clean the foam from the gap and the coil.
    Scorpions have removable basket, can clean the gap and coil if all gooped up

HearNoStevil likes this.
  5. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    The head’s a Mark IV, so DDT is always on. With PRE and POST both under 2, the COMP light blips on somewhat less than it doesn’t. Only the 100 and 1k sliders are boosted, and only slightly; from this angle they might look extreme.

I switched the cables and played hard at that volume and didn’t have trouble with either speaker. Was it really just a loose connection?

In other news, did you work for Peavey once upon a time, or did you just encounter their gear left and right?

6. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I swapped the speaker cables (same cables, but each to the other speaker from the other output), went at it hard with my usual settings, and had no issues :beaver:

Was it just contamination in a jack, or a loose connection?

JeezyMcNuggles and AudioTaper like this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I'd say either bad cable/jack.
    Or intermittent cable/jack

It's really a guess.
    Insertion/reinserting Jack's yes can clean them. Or jiggle or hang a intermittent connection so it's good for awhile

I'd pay attention to the known amplifier output jack/cable/cab input that originally was plugged in your scorpion loaded cab

Or even the smaller silver wires from cone to terminal might need a touch-up. Basically any connections. Drivers don't fix themselves. Unlikely a damaged driver, for the most part

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  8. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Sounds better than having to repair or replace speakers, or to try to move a faulty cab in the age of lightweight gear and no gigs, haha.

9. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I almost waited to post until after I tried the cables :facepalm: D’oh!

wave rider, LowActionHero and 2tonic like this.
  10. littlebun

littlebun Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Try cleaning the speaker connectors and jacks with electrical contact cleaner or alcohol works, too.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Yeah for the most part.
    States are opening up. Mine already has. Gaming is up. Poopy cover gigs still available.... boring.
    Scene will go back to underground or outdoors. Alot of camping/live stuff happening. Otherwise industry still pretty lame. No worries on the lightweights, they keep dying weekly lol. Your Peavey still working...ahhh shucks

12. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    How does the top cabinet sound by itself? Do you feel comfortable working on your gear? Example: checking the speaker wire leads behind the speaker?
    Good news if it is something like a blown speaker, the Peavey baskets are *fairly* cheap and easy to replace. You will need the part number on the back of the speaker.
    A quick google search lead me to this, you might find better deals with more searching.
    "Peavey SP-15825 RB 15" Scorpion Speaker Replacement Basket" from www.parts-express.com!

Edit: I missed a few posts, glad to hear its not the speaker. I would start with checking that cable thoroughly.
    Also, put the good cable in the questionable jack on the amp - make sure it's not the issue.

13. littlebun

littlebun Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I've had a few *** moments from dirty input and speaker jacks. We forget how dirty they can get.

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    upload_2020-7-30_21-59-39.png

15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Black Widows are awesome drivers!

60bass, Aqualung60, Spyrosaab and 3 others like this.
  16. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    The Black Widow set the standard for me with speakers. For years I had a 1x18 I ran full range and loved, and if it hadn’t gotten stolen, I would still rock it. I was considering replacing the Scorpion with one if the driver needed replacing, but this experience has shown me that I like running both together. The Scorpion really brings out the subtle grunginess of the Mark IV.

Giffro, Kukulkan61 and HearNoStevil like this.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It may still be an intermittent cable. Thoroughly troubleshoot everything before spraying anything into the jacks and maybe creating a new problem.

If you use DeOxit, less is more, really.

18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Maybe just a short. Have you checked the wiring in the back panel? Tried the other plug?

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Oh, there you go. I got some old EV PA speakers from my church when they upgraded the sound system. She said they didn't work anymore. As it turned out, only one jack on one speaker didn't work. Tape over that one to mark it, and I have a fully functional, great sound system free of charge. (Sigh) its the little things in life...

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I am really enjoying the Scorpion 15 in my TKO115S; I like what it does when you shove a bunch of bright, clean, just-starting-to-break-up guitar sound into it. (In the TKO’s ported enclosure). I would not think it would be a good-sounding guitar speaker based on looking at Peavey’s published specs, but I love it. It lets me put a taste of drunk, homicidal redneck into my guitar sound, and that is pleasant and rewarding.

I find the TKO to sound pretty good cranked up with bass too, but pretty beamy—I have to stand in the right place to hear the upper bass guitar frequencies. I don’t notice that as much using it for guitar, plus it doesn’t seem as volume-limited at 80 watts for guitar.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Pauly 4001 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022