1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stuff to do in Philly?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by circuitspore, Aug 17, 2012.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm going to Philly for a tradeshow next week, and I'm taking an extra day there. I plan to visit the USS New Jersey (my grandfather was on the ship in the Korean war), but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my day.

Will probably see the Edgar Allen Poe house since I've always been a fan. And I've already seen the Constitution Center and Liberty Bell, so I won't be repeating those.

Any other suggestions? Stuff to see? Places to eat?

2. buy drugs, get mugged, and get arrested

alternatively take your pic in front of CBGB's, visit love park, and get a darn cheesesteak sammish

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I could have spent an extra hour or two at the Mutter Museum, but my wife started burning out on it after a while.

I will be monitoring this thread, because I will be in Philly for a week in October.

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're a baseball fan, the Phillies are playing at home next week against the Reds and Nationals. The Phillies themselves haven't been much fun to watch this year, but the Reds and Nationals are at the top of their respective divisions, and Citizen's Bank Park is a fantastic place to watch a baseball game. It's an easy subway ride from Center City.

You could also check out the Art Museum or the Franklin Institute.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    If you hit a diner in Philly or Jersey, get something with pork roll in it. You'll love it.

7. Boo Santa?

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Eastern State Penn is pretty cool.
    You can run up the stairs to the art museum and be like Rocky.
    Eat a cheese steak?

9. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Haha. I had to look that one up.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd definitely go to a Phillies game and then check out all that cool stuff Nicolas Cage was looking at in National Treasure.

Also, get a cheesesteak from Pat's, Geno's, and Tony Luke's. Then go to the Reading Terminal Market and get a real sandwhich at Tommy DiNic's. I probably just kicked off a "cheesesteak war" with those comments. :D

-Mike

11. Valley Forge, Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's Grave.

Then, you can go to Market Street or go to the "Condom Kingdom" on South Street.

Or go to "Crash Bang Boom" on South 4th St. The owners of "CBB" used to own "Zipperhead" on South street (written about in the song "Punk Rock Girl" by the Dead Milkmen)

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I can't really say for sure, but I hear it's always sunny there.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  14. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Make sure you specify "wit whiz" on your cheesesteak.

15. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Huh?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

16. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Eastern State is definitely the most worthwhile tourist attraction in Philly as far as I am concerned. The audio tour is done by Steve Buscemi as well.

If you are going to get a cheesesteak go to Jim's on South Street. Trust me, Pat's and Geno's are nothing but tourist traps these days (I live about 5 blocks from there).

While Dinic's in Reading Terminal is easier to get to, the place to get the proper Philly roast pork is at John's in South Philly. It takes some getting to but it has been around since the 30s and has won a James Beard award for a reason.

If you are interested in archaeology the University of Pennsylvania Archaeology Museum is pretty darn good.

It is worth taking a trip to the top of the tower at City Hall, great view of the city.

If you are into gastro pubs, Philly is the city for you. I can recommend a bunch if you are interested.

If you like spicy food then Han Dynasty in Old City is amazing, but I do mean spicy.

There is the new Barnes museum on the Ben Franklin Parkway. The story of how it wound up there is kind of sad but it is the best collect of post-impressionist art on Earth.

There are a bunch of good music venues: Electric Factory, Trocodero, Union Transfer, TLA, World Cafe Live, Johnny Brenda's

Oh and CBGBs is not in Philly.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

17. +1 to John's Roast Pork. I just finished a Dinic's roast pork (loaded) for lunch, but Johns is tasty also. Make sure you get your order right - they are mean if it isn't perfect!

18. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Local parlance for "may i have a squirt of cheese on my sandwich?" which is pretty much cheese whiz. Also dont delay or they will move on to the next persons order. :D

19. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
  20. tour Drexel University or Temple university. the US mint. Franklin institute. the academy of natural sciences. the Philadelphia art museum. all sorts of small things to see along the river. plenty of unhealthy food, and breweries. take the horse buggy tour around independence hall. ben franklins house (moved for the highway) Betsy Ross house (also been moved) the duck tours are pretty fun too. they also have professional sports phillies suck this year. the 76'ers and the Flyers are in off season.