1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sturm Etudes

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I've had a book of Sturm Etudes (book 1) for years and never opened it, just took a look yesterday and I think these are going to be good for me.

I assume that the staccati can be played in a variety of ways, and that's the thing to do - on the string, off the string, and whatever else. Curious to know if anyone has organize their thinking about how to approach practicing these.

And also curious to know if anyone has a written resource that itemizes all these things for a bass player with descriptions - sautille, spiccato, martele etc.

Thanks.

-S-

Michael Drost likes this.
  2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Orin O’Brien’s “Double Bass Notebook” has what you’re looking for on page 56.

Steve Freides likes this.
  3. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Excellent - looks to be in stock and I will order later today.

BTW, I see "NYC, Inwood" under your name - we lived on Seaman Avenue just above 207th through most of the 1980's and the early 90's.

Thanks again.

-S-

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'm on Park Terrace East-I love everything about the neighborhood except climbing the hill and humping the bass up to the 1 train

5. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    @salcott, we took the A most of the time because we lived so close to the stop. The neighborhood was very good to us. We were across the street from the park, between 207th and Isham. My daily run was through the park, up under the Henry Hudson bridge, down along the river, and back on Dykeman Street. When we moved in, thanks to rent stabilization, our first apartment, 1 bedroom, was $150/month, and by the time we left in 1993, we were in the same building in a 2-bedroom apt with an eat-in kitchen and the rent was still less than $600. ("Those Were The Days, My Friend, We Thought They'd Never End ..." is now playing in my head.)

I ordered the book you recommended yesterday, looking forward to it.

-S-

salcott likes this.