suggest a soundboard/ mixing console?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by clanner, Jan 29, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    my band is working on building a quality studio in our basment (already sound proofed) and we're looking for recording equipment. we have a boss br1600 digital recorder and a peavey soundboard (10-18 i think) we're not happy with the sound quality we're getting from the digital system and would like to get a mixerboard that also records and send to some sort of device. we're trying to get the best possible sound out of whatever equipment we buy.

thank you
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    your main problem is probably your pre's. You could just buy some mic pre's, like the focusrite octopre or sumthing like that with a few pre's in one unit. A nicer board is going to improve your sound but itd have to be a pretty nice one and they get pricey. How much do you want to spend?
  3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    price isn't really an issue. under 1500 would be ideal

the real problem is when we mix something using the br1600 it sounds amazing, but when it gets pressed to disk it sounds completely different and might as well be utter crap.

we just finished 2 8-hour blocks at a very good home studio (NDL Studios) and he was using a sound board or mixing board for mixing because he had not yet received his new board, could record edit and add effects on to it and not worry about the signal loss of being digital,

digital is basically 1's and 0's and when compressed onto a CD something will get cut out. he also had 2 rack mounted adat tape systems, which may have been the big difference
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The Mackie Onyx with firewire is a great board for that price range.
  6. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    We recorded afew years back at a studio and the guy was using some Roland digital board. Our stuff came out great, and he burned it to cd right there from the board. I'd look at some roland recording boards.
  7. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

This is probably your best bet in that price range. It does your A/D conversion right there in the board (with optional digital conversion package.) It sounds like your problem is the mastering process, though, not your pre's, EQ, etc, since you mention that it sounds fine until you burn the CD. Have you thought about using a DAW (i.e. computer + software) with a decent front end? Or will the Boss give you a non-processed mix that you can take to a mastering house?